Tips on getting a stray cat to like you?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hypnofrogstevie, Dec 6, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Well thanks to Deb I went out and got a stray cat. She is a cute fluffy cat but very skitzy. Any tips on training a cat to like you?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Food and the connection you're the food dispenser!

3. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Hey I thought you wernt going to come back! I'm glad your back [​IMG]. Stray cat is pretty easy to tame, at first just feed it, give it water etc. Then if you can try to pet it. What I do is try to let it understand I'm not going to hurt it. Sometimes I just grab the cat and scratch behind the tail lol and under the chin. Good luck!

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 3 strays that come to my house and drool [​IMG] over my chickens, I don't care to make friends with them, however I will try to save their lives as it is not there fault that a former neightbor left them to fend for themselves. [​IMG]
    I do agree food and maybe toys will make a big difference. In my case food and humane traps will make a big difference. If my Jack Russells catch these cats, it won't be pretty, for the cats. [​IMG]

Good Luck with the cat Stevie!

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thanks. She looks like the one that passed away on me 3 months ago. She is pretty well fed now. I gotta figure out where to keep her. She in my room but I have baby chicks in a tank. she can easily kill them when I am sleeping

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I would be very quiet around it, not lunge for it, etc. Stray cats aren't necessarily accustomed to living around humans and may actually be fearful of them.

I suggest providing the cat with food and speaking to it in a calm, normal voice to get it used to you. Let it approach you on its own terms, rather than you chasing it around the house.

Good luck with your new pet!

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thanks for all the replies [​IMG]. She is in my closet hiding. I will leave her alone and hope she will come to me soon

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I used to rescue a lot of cats. Whenever I had a particularly unfriendly or wild one I would give them a bath. (If you can clip their nails foirst tihs is helpful!)

This would seem to neutralize them and make them see me as the one in charge and the one ultimately rescuing them from the water! LOL. At least that's what I'm guessing.

I would have to give cats baths all the time and I noticed on some it seemed to make them nicer afterwards.

Plus you have them bundled up in a towel afterwards, they smell good and you're loving on them, etc.

9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Okay...ready for this?! Take a can of tuna fish, rub yourslef down with it from head to toe, lay on the floor, ever so still, and just wait....[​IMG]

10. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by