Tips on how to wean my muscovy off mating with shoes!

madmuscovy

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 30, 2013
Hello

Just joined. I live in Madagascar at the moment. I never intended on having ducks but I found a duckling that had been left to die so I took it home and he's been with me now for nearly a year. The problem I have is that after a few months of having him he became frisky with the shoes we have lined up next to the door. Flip flops are his favourite and he gets all unnecessary with them, climbs on top of them just as he would a female and moonwalks and wriggles around the floor with them, also he likes to cling on to my foot when I'm walking so it's like the duck is attached to your foot. After a few months I got a female as he was obviously craving one but he is not interested in the slightest. He wriggles around with the shoes in front of her and she just looks embarrassed....Any ideas how to get Geraldine (the Drake, I thought it was a female at first and the name has stuck) to stop having sex with shoes?! Donna and Geraldine both live outside but Geraldine comes inside for a bit of shoe action! I have already tried her going cold turkey (!!) and not letting her inside for 2 weeks but that did not work. Please help! Thanks.

Hello

Just joined. I live in Madagascar at the moment. I never intended on having ducks but I found a duckling that had been left to die so I took it home and he's been with me now for nearly a year. The problem I have is that after a few months of having him he became frisky with the shoes we have lined up next to the door. Flip flops are his favourite and he gets all unnecessary with them, climbs on top of them just as he would a female and moonwalks and wriggles around the floor with them, also he likes to cling on to my foot when I'm walking so it's like the duck is attached to your foot. After a few months I got a female as he was obviously craving one but he is not interested in the slightest. He wriggles around with the shoes in front of her and she just looks embarrassed....Any ideas how to get Geraldine (the Drake, I thought it was a female at first and the name has stuck) to stop having sex with shoes?! Donna and Geraldine both live outside but Geraldine comes inside for a bit of shoe action! I have already tried her going cold turkey (!!) and not letting her inside for 2 weeks but that did not work. Please help! Thanks.
How funny, but better than having him jump on to your back which is what my hand- housed raised duckling turned drake wanted to do. Put the shoes away, I know a big bummer but out of sight out of mind. Maybe. as far as riding on your shoe well about all you can do is keep brushing him off and it has to mean something, At one time my drake was so bent on riding my foot and leg I would carry the broom and sweep him off and away, it's not an over night fix but it finally paid off. Do they have a pool or something they can get into? sometimes when a duck gets Into water that gets the drake interested in some lovey dovey.
welcome-byc.gif

Yes, I would hide the shoes or maybe give him one little shoe he could only have outside. Maybe some ducks prefer "p* rn instead of a real live, partner - men get weird like that too.

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a go. It's really difficult getting Geraldine off my leg and shoes as he wraps his claws around my ankle and spreads his wings out, but I will try the broom and removing the shoes. Donna is such a lovely female as well, still whatever floats your boat I guess! He has also tried to get on my back too but thankfully it's not a regular thing like yours was! I see you have a lot of birds, I hope to have a few when I go back to Australia. Thanks for the advice.

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a go. It's really difficult getting Geraldine off my leg and shoes as he wraps his claws around my ankle and spreads his wings out, but I will try the broom and removing the shoes. Donna is such a lovely female as well, still whatever floats your boat I guess! He has also tried to get on my back too but thankfully it's not a regular thing like yours was! I see you have a lot of birds, I hope to have a few when I go back to Australia. Thanks for the advice.

Forgot to say, yes they have a small pool.
With the broom you have to be ready as soon as you see him make his move sweep him away. I was sitting out side yesterday minding my own business when my sweet spoiled drake comes charging at me at break neck speed and grabs my leg, I pushed him off fast and he just turned around and waddled off. They need to know their limits. And they do keep us on our toes. lol

Do they get into the pool together? Have you ever seen them mate? Even though my drake mates with his girls he still likes to think of me as one of his too.

Back
Top Bottom