Tired, not eating gosling

extraordinaryfowl

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Lancaster, PA
I have a 5 month old gosling who since this morning is just laying around sleeping, not interested in grass, grain or water. Yesterday he was eating a little but for the most part was lethargic and uninterested in food. He can walk, but is slower then the rest.

About a week and a half ago the same thing happened and I upped his grain supplement (since my geese are grass-raised) and he seemed to recover. Now he isn't interested in eating or drinking. And I know all about niacin and use Brewer's yeast in my starter mash.

I would like to note that this gosling has two siblings from the same hatched, in the exact same conditions, (same coop, pasture, grain, etc.) and they are both robust and active as ever. I have no other geese this year or now that have acted in any way sick. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

like humans they are individuals and some need more care than others. I would worry about toxins, or impaction going on. I know you stated all are in the same place, but some geese react more after eating something bad. Isolation so you can give the juvenile a once over for injuries and offer a flush to see if it helps perk the goose back up would be good.

Thanks, I will get started right away - what are the differences between the charcoal, molasses and epsom salt, and which do you think would be best for a lethargic gander not eating or drinking?

I tend to do molasses because its in the pantry all of the time for baking too. Dip his bill into the water, if he wont drink you may need to syringe some into him. Be mindful of the crop and getting down properly.

I tend to do molasses because its in the pantry all of the time for baking too. Dip his bill into the water, if he wont drink you may need to syringe some into him. Be mindful of the crop and getting down properly.

Sorry for all the questions - since the molasses flush says do not exceed 8 hours then to replace with vitamin water, what happens if they don't get better in that time?

it can cause loose stool, so better to offer for 8 hours, give regular water with vitamins for 2-4 and return to flush if needed.

definitely get hands on and look the goose over for injuries though. Old fashioned oats cooked with just water is sometimes a good treat, most like pumpkins, water mellon, you can get some whole oats or wheat and let stand in water over night, drain and offer the soft grains. Finely chopped dark greens work well too. Oh and since its fall, soft apples.

it can cause loose stool, so better to offer for 8 hours, give regular water with vitamins for 2-4 and return to flush if needed.

definitely get hands on and look the goose over for injuries though. Old fashioned oats cooked with just water is sometimes a good treat, most like pumpkins, water mellon, you can get some whole oats or wheat and let stand in water over night, drain and offer the soft grains. Finely chopped dark greens work well too. Oh and since its fall, soft apples.

CelticOaksFarm,

Unfortunately the young goose died, (for about a half hour or so before it lost control of it's neck and was twisting) so probably poisoning like you said.

So do you use the epsom salt or molasses flush for not-sick geese? I am thinking it may be a good idea to flush my entire gaggle one time at least in the next few days in case they got into whatever this gosling got into.

Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom