Tired of fighting.

I’ve tried raising them as pets (disaster) and keeping my distance (better results) and now am looking for a brown egg layer with an easy demeanor (I understand birds are individuals). I don’t completely hate my roo, just want to know if there’s a better one to be had.
I would try an Orpington maybe or maybe a Brahma or Cochin? Those are supposed to be pretty docile. Black Australorp could work too though as I hear they’re pretty docile as well and I love my girls and the cockerel I had.

I’ve heard that Speckled Sussex roosters are pretty calm as well and my hen sure is but I haven’t had a rooster of them yet.

I know some people have had great results with Plymouth Rocks as well but others haven’t so that’s something to keep in mind too. I’ve had Barred and Partridge. For the Barred I’ve had a hen and a cockerel. I loved both.

I also love my Delaware hen but not sure how the roosters would be. Also my hen is loud so that might be an issue. My RIR cockerel was alright but a lot of them are jerks so I wouldn’t risk it. I had a Welsummer pair and absolutely loved them! That’s another option to try.

I’ve tried raising them as pets (disaster) and keeping my distance (better results) and now am looking for a brown egg layer with an easy demeanor (I understand birds are individuals). I don’t completely hate my roo, just want to know if there’s a better one to be had.
If he’s attacking you, there is a better one to be had. I’ve had Brahmas and they have always been nice, calm birds.

Many people have reported Barred Rock roosters being aggressive. I myself had an aggressive Barred Rock rooster.
I think that it's just random because I had a stunningly handsome Barred Rock rooster who was extremely kind to his ladies, gave us a wide berth in daylight but would gently brush against my legs in the dark coop if the light went out before he made it to the perch. I was always able to pick him up, place him between his favorite girls and give him pets & snuggles...but ONLY at lights out. Any other time he was about doing his rooster duties. He was wonderful & I would have another like him in a hot second if I could. (But alas, crowing is like nails on a chalkboard to the Mr. But he sucked it up for several years 😂)

Yep. None of the roosters I've kept have ever attacked me. So if you're worried about turning your back on a roo get a better one. I don't know if the ones I've given away attacked others but they never attacked me while I had them.
Ones that get too cozy with me (pecking etc.) get put in the stewpot anyhow... They never get a chance. But most of them don't do that. Usually those are from batches where I know I'm processing all the boys for food anyhow so I raise the batch with hens in mind, not roosters.

I think that it's just random because I had a stunningly handsome Barred Rock rooster who was extremely kind to his ladies, gave us a wide berth in daylight but would gently brush against my legs in the dark coop if the light went out before he made it to the perch. I was always able to pick him up, place him between his favorite girls and give him pets & snuggles...but ONLY at lights out. Any other time he was about doing his rooster duties. He was wonderful & I would have another like him in a hot second if I could. (But alas, crowing is like nails on a chalkboard to the Mr. But he sucked it up for several years 😂)
I believe @BantyChooks has (or had ? ) an excellent Barred Rock rooster. They can be great. The one I had let me hold him and pet him and everything and wasn’t mean but I know it varies a lot.

Oops! I see that's already been suggested. I have 2 Bantam Cochin and I absolutely adore them. My white frizzled cockerel is sweet but very protective of his bachelor Flock. My Barred rooster is so gentle guy with humans and is the sweetest guy ever with the pullets and hens. He's also quite fierce anytime he believes there is a threat and runs to check on the hens and pullets first then assesses any danger. He's very devoted.
I'd absolutely LOVE to have some Brahmas but in respect to their size, I just don't have the space at this time unfortunately. I've heard amazing things about them.
AS for another mention about Welsummers, I've heard that they're actually quite intelligent. Plus they have gorgeous eggs

The experiences I can share are not with roosters who are/were mine. The neighbours of whom my mother and I visit the chickens daily to bring some goodies did have a black Australorp rooster. They got him and their first females when he was a cockerel and the girls poullets. They were absolute beginners with chickens. Their rooster was (he died last year suddenly from unknown cause) very friendly and sovereign. Never aggressive (towards humans, hens, friendly! dogs). They didn't do anything special with him, he was like that by himself.
They still have one Australorp female who also is very sweet mannered and notably less aggressive in interaction with the other girls than most of their other hens (she actually doesn't show any aggression while being in the upper pecking order). We have never seen her pecking another hen. So I tend to say it can have something to do with the breed.
My friend has bantam Brahmas since many years. He likes them because of many reasons, and one reason is the roosters being not very aggressive. I have spent several time with them (he has many roosters) and never observed aggression towards me. So perhaps/probably it somehow can be breed related, even if there are certainly exceptions in every breed possible.

Back
Top Bottom