Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

What would the heat be, generated from an egg close to hatch? My thermometers are all around 37,5 in the incubator right now, but the check-up is at 37,8. I was wondering why since he usually gives the same reading as the others. But now I see it is touching one of the eggs. Is the egg generating the extra heat?

Yes as the chicks develop they generate their own heat. It's actually quite interesting because in a hatchery setting where they have thousands of eggs incubating, at some point during incubation they actually switch to a fan system only, to cool the incubation room because the eggs begin producing so much of their own heat. It's pretty cool.

Woke up this morning to a pip in the right egg. Problem is the pip is in the wrong end of the egg. Today is day 20 for these babies so it's right on time thank goodness. Nothing yet for the other two but maybe if this one gets out it will make the others want to get moving.
I've had a few of these dumdums. They can take a loooooooot longer than the other ones. Go silly little one!

D14 Update from yesterday
All eggs that were fertile are still alive! The air cells on the shipped eggs look ridiculous, but weight says they are on track.

I'm jealous of you other East Coasters whose RH will stay in the 20-35% range while dry. Mine will plummet into the 10's. But running with humidity north of 40% for the whole hatch results in sticky chicks.

All eggs that were fertile are still alive! The air cells on the shipped eggs look ridiculous, but weight says they are on track.

I'm jealous of you other East Coasters whose RH will stay in the 20-35% range while dry. Mine will plummet into the 10's. But running with humidity north of 40% for the whole hatch results in sticky chicks.

My plastic bators drop to the teens when running them without water as well. I can't run them dry even though I'm on the humid East coast. That's why I keep bringing up the difference between the plastic and styrofoam incubators. I'm sure I'll eventually run into a plastic incubator that should run dry too but so far the styrofoam and plastic have been different worlds of hatching for me even with the ambient temp and humidity in the same room being identical.

Yes I believe doing 40% from the beginning causes issues. It doesn't allow the air cells get where they need to be either. I have tried so many different humidities to find the sweet spot for my incubator.

Yes I believe doing 40% from the beginning causes issues. It doesn't allow the air cells get where they need to be either. I have tried so many different humidities to find the sweet spot for my incubator.

Well it sounds like you found your sweet spot! Since your incubator allows enough of the room humidity to keep in just right. I say don't mess with a good thing. That's like incubator easy street if you rarely ever need to add water. lol

@livhatcher for some reason I can't send you a private message but I remembered you saying you got chicks from Greenfire Farms right? I came across some unsettling info on Facebook that I was going to forward to you if you want to message me first that may work. I didn't want to hijack the hatch-a-long. Lol

wait, I want to know this info

What would the heat be, generated from an egg close to hatch? My thermometers are all around 37,5 in the incubator right now, but the check-up is at 37,8. I was wondering why since he usually gives the same reading as the others. But now I see it is touching one of the eggs. Is the egg generating the extra heat?
It is a minimal difference. And yes, touching anything can cause that slight difference. No worries!

I agree. What is your sweet spot?

Mine's just being kind of annoying this time. It needs to be 20-30 overall but that also happens to be the trickiest band of humidity to hold. For some reason if it gets below 30 it will just lose the rest and drop into the teens. I think I don't have my sponges placed well this time, because theoretically (and historically), they'll hold a small bastion of humidity against total evaporation.

I agree. What is your sweet spot?

Mine's just being kind of annoying this time. It needs to be 20-30 overall but that also happens to be the trickiest band of humidity to hold. For some reason if it gets below 30 it will just lose the rest and drop into the teens. I think I don't have my sponges placed well this time, because theoretically (and historically), they'll hold a small bastion of humidity against total evaporation.
Mine is usually anything below 30% in my incubator. It's usually 25% constantly

Back
Top Bottom