Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Looks like 4 out of 7 have life. The other three look very questionable. The air cells are saddled pretty bad. Part of the reason why I wanted eggs shipped from the same state! Not Arizona...

Everyone else is very veiny and moving :D More concerned about the Deathlayers hatching.

Made it out and back in to quarantine with only my daughter spotting me. Should be ok.

All 11 in the brooder doing well. The little ones are very brave for just hatched babies. They are following around the bigger birds and doing what they do. Definitely love these guys already going to be hard to only choose 4 girls and one boy.

Hatcher set up again for the eggs hatching Wednesday Thursday. These are the Brickhouse eggs. 14 or 15 made it to lockdown. I had 5 clears and 4 quitters. Day 21 starts 8:31 Thursday night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_194140059_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20200301_194140059_HDR[1].jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200301_194151379_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20200301_194151379_HDR[1].jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200301_194145120_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20200301_194145120_HDR[1].jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200301_194148530_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20200301_194148530_HDR[1].jpg
    464 KB · Views: 2
Air cells are growing. So Iā€™m happy. They may be the perfect size by the time itā€™s time to hatch. I will stop opening the incubator starting now. Tomorrow is Day 20. I canā€™t believe how fast (& slow) 21 days went by.
I'm thinking waiting for these polish eggs to hatch on the 5th has been the longest wait ever especially now that I know they're hers. These next few days are going to be the worse.

Looks like 4 out of 7 have life. The other three look very questionable. The air cells are saddled pretty bad. Part of the reason why I wanted eggs shipped from the same state! Not Arizona...

Everyone else is very veiny and moving :D More concerned about the Deathlayers hatching.

Made it out and back in to quarantine with only my daughter spotting me. Should be ok.
If it was my kid she'd tell dad as soon as he came inside. Hope you feel better soon

All 11 in the brooder doing well. The little ones are very brave for just hatched babies.
They are following around the bigger birds and doing what they do. Definitely love these guys already going to be hard to only choose 4 girls and one boy.

1) Last hatch, I had single egg that hatched a full two weeks behind everyone else. Unlike my staggered hatch this time (which is just new eggs), it was a surplus egg from the original shipment that just didn't go into the incubator until D14 when I was able to clear some space. It had a partner that didn't develop, so this little tiny baby was alone and I had no choice but to put her in the brooder with everyone else and hope for the best. We named her Little, and she was completely fine. Better than fine, actually. She could huddle under the other chicks for warmth, and learned to play tough. She has Marans in her, so now she's one of our biggest chickens, and the name is an ironic reminder of when she was a tiny floof ball next to what at the time appeared to be relatively large raptors stomping around.

2) Thank you for providing this anticipation-building time-burner (this video, and your hatching livestream).

Furthering that end, I found this video documenting a shell-less incubation, which is just like, the coolest thing ever:

I am also inspired by you to figure out how I can convert my toddler's retired babycam into a hatch livestream myself!

All 11 in the brooder doing well. The little ones are very brave for just hatched babies. They are following around the bigger birds and doing what they do. Definitely love these guys already going to be hard to only choose 4 girls and one boy.

Hatcher set up again for the eggs hatching Wednesday Thursday. These are the Brickhouse eggs. 14 or 15 made it to lockdown. I had 5 clears and 4 quitters. Day 21 starts 8:31 Thursday night.
My week olds were following my 4 week old chicks. They still look funny in the brooder because they are a lot smaller.

1) Last hatch, I had single egg that hatched a full two weeks behind everyone else. Unlike my staggered hatch this time (which is just new eggs), it was a surplus egg from the original shipment that just didn't go into the incubator until D14 when I was able to clear some space. It had a partner that didn't develop, so this little tiny baby was alone and I had no choice but to put her in the brooder with everyone else and hope for the best. We named her Little, and she was completely fine. Better than fine, actually. She could huddle under the other chicks for warmth, and learned to play tough. She has Marans in her, so now she's one of our biggest chickens, and the name is an ironic reminder of when she was a tiny floof ball next to what at the time appeared to be relatively large raptors stomping around.

2) Thank you for providing this anticipation-building time-burner (this video, and your hatching livestream).

Furthering that end, I found this video documenting a shell-less incubation, which is just like, the coolest thing ever:

I am also inspired by you to figure out how I can convert my toddler's retired babycam into a hatch livestream myself!
I watched a similar one that students in Japan did. It was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom