Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Okay...I have nothing to report on my eggs. They are LITERALLY JUST SITTING IN THE INCUBATOR DOING NOTHING until next week. :fl

I'm in the process of ordering a big old batch of eggs now so I can set the annual kindergarten hatch next tuesday. I've asked for a mix of black and blue marans, CCL, Cuckoo Bluebars, Isbars, Basque Hens, Deathlayers & Orps. We shall see! Just catching up with everyone now!
Are you a teacher or is your child one of the students?

Are you a teacher or is your child one of the students?

I have done this program for 4 years. We have an agriculture based curriculum for 5 year old kindergarten. They are studying worms and horticulture now! Each year we set the eggs to hatch in time for Easter. I am what my husband refers to as the "Czarina" of the school :lau
Although I currently do have a kindergartner this year, I do it one way or the other. If you have 4H or the like in schools, you can reach out and see if kids need eggs. I always have to source mine, and since I know they're going to come home to me, I try to get what I want.

I have done this program for 4 years. We have an agriculture based curriculum for 5 year old kindergarten. They are studying worms and horticulture now! Each year we set the eggs to hatch in time for Easter. I am what my husband refers to as the "Czarina" of the school :lau
Although I currently do have a kindergartner this year, I do it one way or the other. If you have 4H or the like in schools, you can reach out and see if kids need eggs. I always have to source mine, and since I know they're going to come home to me, I try to get what I want.
Okay I'll look into it. It's too late this year, but I'll start asking a friend who works in the school system to get me the info.

Oh fun! I didn't like partridge coloring at first either but it's growing on me. I'm actually kind of hoping the chick I'm raising right now ends up with a really light partridge? I don't have a clue how this will grow out. She's pretty though!

View attachment 2047847
Her coloring reminds me a bit of this Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (which I'm pretty sure is a rooster. It was from my Hatch A Longs last month. Either way you have a beautiful chick :love

IMG_20200310_105847399.jpg

I want to participate with the Easter hatchalong and wondered if when you are preparing for a hatch do you just keep your eggs out until its time to put them the incubator or do you refrigerate them. I want to mostly hatch my new ameraucana eggs but only have 5 hens. I can't be sure that I will have enough eggs in the day or 2 before.

Keep them out, air cell end up! The refrigerator is too cold. If you have somewhere in your house cool but humid, that's ideal.

With good storage conditions, hatchability doesn't drop too much until about day 10.

Back
Top Bottom