Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

What I said wasn't truly related to you It was just related to everyone because I don't want somebody thinking that because I got a 100% hatch rate last time that it will work in their incubator.

You know how new people can get and they tend to gravitate towards one thing that somebody says and I don't want someone to think that I say dry hatching is the best thing ever...

I only dry hatch because that seems to be the only thing that works with this incubator 😂 trust me I have tried water and everything else and nothing else works. I would rather dry hatch and not have to worry about the humidity then have to tinker with the humidity all the time then get condensation because that's what happened the first time
Sorry if I came off defensive, that was not my intention! I was just trying to clarify my interest and reason behind asking my question.

There truly are so many variables with incubating eggs, it is hard to know what will work and what won't! That's why I like your thread idea so much, especially if we all include data about our climate/area. It will be easier to make informed decisions that way!

I think all of the experienced hatchers in this thread have been so good about encouraging newbies to figure out what works for them, I couldn't have asked for a better "cohort" for my first hatch!

I have a question. So Uno, my baby that hatched yesterday is a full 2 days early and so far I haven't seen any activity from my other eggs. Is this normal? Will he/she be ok to transfer to my brooder box alone?

My husband then posed a sad possibility that Uno will be my only one to hatch :tongue So my only logical option would be to go buy him some friends from our local feed store that has a few breeds I don't have yet just so Uno wont be lonely

Yes, I would definitely move baby to the brooder so it can get some food and water.

Sorry if I came off defensive, that was not my intention! I was just trying to clarify my interest and reason behind asking my question.

There truly are so many variables with incubating eggs, it is hard to know what will work and what won't! That's why I like your thread idea so much, especially if we all include data about our climate/area. It will be easier to make informed decisions that way!

I think all of the experienced hatchers in this thread have been so good about encouraging newbies to figure out what works for them, I couldn't have asked for a better "cohort" for my first hatch!
Not defensive at all I just didn't want you to think that I was picking you out of the crowd...

There are definitely so many different ways to hatch and I guess I kind of went along my own path with hatching because all the information that I was getting before wasn't working and I didn't know why...

I realized it's because my incubator decided that it doesn't want to have any water in it. It's scared of water or something

Year Round Hatchers If anyone else wants to be part of the year-round hatchalong just let me know or click on this link...

What we are doing is we will have a spreadsheet that will calculate your monthly hatches and we will have one that calculates the year round total for everyone.

I'm thinking about having a prize at the end for somebody who has the highest hatch rate... No cheating!

I have a question. So Uno, my baby that hatched yesterday is a full 2 days early and so far I haven't seen any activity from my other eggs. Is this normal? Will he/she be ok to transfer to my brooder box alone?

My husband then posed a sad possibility that Uno will be my only one to hatch :tongue So my only logical option would be to go buy him some friends from our local feed store that has a few breeds I don't have yet just so Uno wont be lonely
I definitely would take it out because my chicks start eating within the first day even though they say you are okay for up to three days, I would take it out.

If you don't have any external pips, you can candle all of the eggs and see where they are at. The only time you don't want to keep opening up the incubator is if you have external pips (This is my advice for those that I do not know how long they've been hatching/incubating)

That being said I opened up my incubator probably 20 times yesterday and I had several external pips. I did not have any shrink wrapping or anything that's because my humidity in my incubator is the same as my humidity in my house. I dry hatch... This is another reason why I like dry hatching with my incubator, but I don't suggest everyone doing it.

Year Round Hatchers If anyone else wants to be part of the year-round hatchalong just let me know or click on this link...

What we are doing is we will have a spreadsheet that will calculate your monthly hatches and we will have one that calculates the year round total for everyone.

I'm thinking about having a prize at the end for somebody who has the highest hatch rate... No cheating!

I'm going to take a look at it shortly. I'm already watching the thread. :)

Not defensive at all I just didn't want you to think that I was picking you out of the crowd...

There are definitely so many different ways to hatch and I guess I kind of went along my own path with hatching because all the information that I was getting before wasn't working and I didn't know why...

I realized it's because my incubator decided that it doesn't want to have any water in it. It's scared of water or something
We call that hydrophobic. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom