Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
Hi guys! We just put 22 eggs in our incubator!
8 English Orpington eggs
2 silkie eggs
1 Candy Corn Polish egg
5 Olive Egger eggs
6 Ameraucana eggs!!!

Lately, the English Orpingtons have been infertile due to mating difficulties so hopefully at least some of them hatch!:) Also, the polish egg could end up being a Vorwerk and polish cross!:) They are all due to hatch on March 16th! Wish me luck!:fl
What does a candy corn chicken look like? Excited to watch your journey

I'm super excited about whatever hatches but my mother-in-law has been throwing some shade on my parade. I'm borrowing their old incubator to do the hatch and only after I set the eggs did she inform me that they'd never had more than a 50% hatch rate using it :rantSince it is my in-laws and my first time raising and trying to hatch eggs I'm not in a position to really suggest maybe they were doing something wrong. I've been reading everything I could find before I set the eggs to try and ensure a healthy hatch so trying to keep my hope up for that "50%". I forgot to say I set the eggs on Feb 20th and I'm using a little giant still air incubator (non-digital) with the automatic egg turner.View attachment 2034775
The relic containing my hopeful March babies.
It's not necessarily the incubators fault about the hatch rate. You could have a better hatch.

I had great hatch rates with my own flock's eggs years ago. So a couple of years ago I decided to get back into chickens so I bought a new incubator and decided I had enough experience to try shipped eggs. Lol, I had 1 hatch out of 12.
Probably not your fault, shipped eggs are high risk in anyone's hands. I don't have much experience hatching, maybe 7 or 8 times, and my hatch with shipped eggs yielded a better than 50% hatch rate. The post office doesn't care much about fragile packages and I don't think eggs like to fly in an airplane.

I agree! I live in Central Florida and ordered eggs from a seller on the east coast. I should have driven the 2 hours to pick them up, but I'm recovering from surgery. They shipped to Orlando, but then to Tampa (west coast), and then to Ybor City, before getting to my local post office. After going through 3 different distribution centers I am not holding out much hope. Also sheds some light on why they seem to lose money.
Keep hoping! I had eggs shipped in state and when I got them 3 were broken, but the rest all hatched. :fl

8 English Orpington eggs
2 silkie eggs
1 Candy Corn Polish egg
5 Olive Egger eggs
6 Ameraucana eggs!!!

Lately, the English Orpingtons have been infertile due to mating difficulties so hopefully at least some of them hatch!:) Also, the polish egg could end up being a Vorwerk and polish cross!:) They are all due to hatch on March 16th! Wish me luck!:fl
What is a candy corn polish??

Good morning from my CCL, Room! Caught her in the act.
IMG_20200225_080655_01.jpg

8 English Orpington eggs
2 silkie eggs
1 Candy Corn Polish egg
5 Olive Egger eggs
6 Ameraucana eggs!!!

I was told if I continue having issues with fertility in my kids I can actually trim the feathers near Cogburns vent so that he can make contact easier. We are getting around 60% right now. I'm thinking he is just mating with two of the girls and the third isn't getting any of his time lol. We are going to add a second rooster to see if maybe that will make a difference.

8 English Orpington eggs
2 silkie eggs
1 Candy Corn Polish egg
5 Olive Egger eggs
6 Ameraucana eggs!!!

I am incubating BBS ameraucana! Very excited and looking to order a couple more colors 😂 I'm in love with the fluffy cheeks and pretty eggs, what can I say!

I'm checking again tomorrow, but I think 3 of my 5 lavender orpington eggs are not fertilized. Is this typical of all orpingtons early in the year or????

Back
Top Bottom