Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
I am incubating BBS ameraucana! Very excited and looking to order a couple more colors 😂 I'm in love with the fluffy cheeks and pretty eggs, what can I say!

I'm checking again tomorrow, but I think 3 of my 5 lavender orpington eggs are not fertilized. Is this typical of all orpingtons early in the year or????
Similar issues here and I've heard several other breeders complaining of the same thing. The theory is that the skirt feathers on their bums prevent them from getting the deed done well. Lots of breeders are trimming the skirt feathers around the vents to make it easier. I'm waiting to see but might give it a go if things don't start improving with the warmer weather setting in.

On a side note. Cogburn (my Chocolate Mottled English Orpington Rooster) hates water. We got home last night after dark from loading hay to bring to the horse barn and he hollered from the horse pasture. He wouldn't go under the gate like the girls did to get back to the barn and his bed because he would have to step in the puddle that was there to do it. I had to open the gate for him and pick him up to carry him over the puddle. Crazy Rooster lol.

Similar issues here and I've heard several other breeders complaining of the same thing. The theory is that the skirt feathers on their bums prevent them from getting the deed done well. Lots of breeders are trimming the skirt feathers around the vents to make it easier. I'm waiting to see but might give it a go if things don't start improving with the warmer weather setting in.

On a side note. Cogburn (my Chocolate Mottled English Orpington Rooster) hates water. We got home last night after dark from loading hay to bring to the horse barn and he hollered from the horse pasture. He wouldn't go under the gate like the girls did to get back to the barn and his bed because he would have to step in the puddle that was there to do it. I had to open the gate for him and pick him up to carry him over the puddle. Crazy Rooster lol.
Cogburn sounds like quite the character! 🤣

Too bad we love those fluffy butts so much...I'd really like to have some fertilized eggs! Hahaha. I have so many plans for my incubators this year I may just try to buy some day old lavender orps from the breeder I got the eggs from. Unless I can somehow sneak another incubator and clutch of eggs into this house without my husband noticing 🤔🤣

Day 11 for me and I have about 30 still coming along nicely. 😁

They are a mix of breeds so it will be interesting to see what I get if anything hatches! My rooster is a Faverolles and the hens are Faverolles, Barnevelder, Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn and Isa Brown. I’ve also got 9 Guinea Fowl from Pearl Grey and Lavender.

So I used a slightly better flashlight to candle my olive eggs. I didn’t candle all of them just like 3 out of 8. They all looked good. The air cell at the top (the wide end not pointy end) was small but it’s only day 9. Should I increase humidity?

Also, the bottom area was empty, the chick is higher off the bottom if that makes sense. I shall try to take a pic, but when I take a picture of white eggs it’s barely visible not sure if olive egg pics will even come up. We shall see.
What flashlight or candler did you use to candle your olive eggs, I need to get one to see through my olive/green eggs ?

I am incubating BBS ameraucana! Very excited and looking to order a couple more colors 😂 I'm in love with the fluffy cheeks and pretty eggs, what can I say!

I'm checking again tomorrow, but I think 3 of my 5 lavender orpington eggs are not fertilized. Is this typical of all orpingtons early in the year or????

English Orpingtons are notorious for low fertility because of their fluffy butts. Many breeders will actually trim their butt fluff to make for higher fertilization rates.

I need a few ideas on how to keep chicks separated in the incubator at hatch. I have my own eggs and eggs from my mama. I marked them but I would like to keep them separate from my own to know what hatches out of her eggs. Im using the little giant incubator. Any ideas?
I'm a few pages behind and catching up now (y'all are fast!) but I would use plastic canvas, from the craft store. Find the biggest hole size they have. I would cut a piece to go down the center and then two to go along each side, in an H configuration. Tie it together with tiny zip ties or string.

Last edited:
What flashlight or candler did you use to candle your olive eggs, I need to get one to see through my olive/green eggs ?

I use a 1200-1300 small high lumen flashlight. I used a Sofirn flashlight all last year and it still works well but it's no longer available for sale on Amazon so I bought a couple others to compare last month. They all work well but my newest favorite is the WUBEN 1200 lumen. It's brighter than the 1300 lumen, go figure. The Hoxida, while also 1200 and decent considering you get two flashlights for less money, isn't as bright as the other two but the tip does telescope which makes it a little brighter than the image in the comparison below.

High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (1).jpg

High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (2).jpg

I use a 1200-1300 small high lumen flashlight. I used a Sofirn flashlight all last year and it still works well but it's no longer available for sale on Amazon so I bought a couple others to compare last month. They all work well but my newest favorite is the WUBEN 1200 lumen. It's brighter than the 1300 lumen, go figure. The Hoxida, while also 1200 and decent considering you get two flashlights for less money, isn't as bright as the other two but the tip does telescope which makes it a little brighter than the image in the comparison below.

View attachment 2035474
View attachment 2035475
Thank you, I'll look for the WUBEN then, how is the candler on the Nuture Right360 incubator

Back
Top Bottom