Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
Just a few more days! You got this!

I think I won’t candle mine tomorrow. I can only see the white ones. A little on the brown and nothing at all on the olive colored ones. Will I ever see anything on those or will I just have to wing it?
A candler or bright flashlight with something to narrow the beam in addition to a very dark room will help. I got a candler and it works better than a flashlight.

Is the last pictured egg the one with the blood ring? I’m still learning about candling.

When I first started participating in hatch-a-longs last year I only took pictures of the fun candling, lol. I do think I have a couple pictures of quitters, an infertile, and my favorite candling collection from a Polish egg developing, it was so easy to see through the white eggs! I hope this helps a bit.

7-28-19 (7-2).jpg
7-28-19 (5-2).jpg
8-20-19 Polish Day 10 (2-2).jpg
Buff Laced Polish Egg Developing.jpg

Decided to candle some of my white eggs because I’m that impatient. My findings were that some already have the eye and a little chick fetus whatever it’s called kidney bean lookin thing inside with an eye at the head. BUT some of them still only have veins.

Are they developing at different speeds due to my heat not being uniform or is this normal? I’m using a Little Giant 9200 Still Air Incubator. Any advice will be appreciated 😊

Are you able to get some pictures?

I'm going to edit my question, lol. If you manage to take some pictures on your next candling we can always try to help you determine what you're looking at. It's always harder to see in an image than in person though.

Last edited:
Yay, bouncing over here now that I have my latest batch set - 24 Silkie testers from a breeder friend (she's had some problems and hasn't had a chance to get her own incubators set up yet) and 10 Ayam Cemani from my own birds, due to hatch on 3.10! I weighed the eggs while I was waiting for the previous occupants to vacate the incubator, and the normal Silkie eggs are in the 45-50 gram range, and the smallest one is just 28 grams.... and has a big ole' bullseye as of last night's 24-hour candling. If that one makes it to hatch, that baby is going to be teeeeeeeeny tiny.

As of the 24-hour candling ( which I've only done a few times, as a tester for my new flashlight), all my AC eggs are developing, and I'd say a third of the Silkie are? They are from all different color pens, but not marked, so I won't know what I'm getting until they hatch.

Yay, bouncing over here now that I have my latest batch set - 24 Silkie testers from a breeder friend (she's had some problems and hasn't had a chance to get her own incubators set up yet) and 10 Ayam Cemani from my own birds, due to hatch on 3.10! I weighed the eggs while I was waiting for the previous occupants to vacate the incubator, and the normal Silkie eggs are in the 45-50 gram range, and the smallest one is just 28 grams.... and has a big ole' bullseye as of last night's 24-hour candling. If that one makes it to hatch, that baby is going to be teeeeeeeeny tiny.

As of the 24-hour candling ( which I've only done a few times, as a tester for my new flashlight), all my AC eggs are developing, and I'd say a third of the Silkie are? They are from all different color pens, but not marked, so I won't know what I'm getting until they hatch.
People were laughing when I said I could see development after 24 hours. You need a good flashlight and good eyes, but you can see it

People were laughing when I said I could see development after 24 hours. You need a good flashlight and good eyes, but you can see it
You definitely can see it! I've found that gently rotating the egg back and forth a bit while candling helps you spot the bullseye. The first hatch I did this for I missed some developing that early on, but was spot-on on which ones I marked as fertile on day 1.

Are you able to get some pictures?

I'm going to edit my question, lol. If you manage to take some pictures on your next candling we can always try to help you determine what you're looking at. It's always harder to see in an image than in person though.

I will see if I can take pics tonight when I get home. But hubby is out of town and I have two little boys who may not let that happen. If that’s the case I’ll take pictures tomorrow. I guess we’ll see if by then they are at the same stage or still a little behind.

Back
Top Bottom