Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
So how do you know to keep them for lockdown? I’ve read people say they weigh their eggs but I didn’t do that from day one. I’ll probably try it next time though.

I weigh because I use shipped eggs and the air cells can be wonky (I do also check air cells, but I've found it's less useful than weight). I weigh on D0, D7, D14, and D18, so I can make adjustments to humidity as needed. I use a conditional excel sheet to tell me if things are too dry, too humid, or on track. Doing it this way has made my hatch rate significantly better.

For lockdown, I just candle them. Even with very dark eggs, by the time you get to D14/18 you can usually see activity.

Y'all are making me want to candle my eggs so bad! 😂😭 I was trying to wait until day 7 since it's my first hatch and I didn't want to get discouraged if there weren't obvious signs of development.

Currently on day 3 (counting last Sunday as Day 0 as the eggs went in during the afternoon) and it seems like an eternity.

I candled my first one at Day 4. But I don’t bother candling them all. If one is showing progress then something is right haha. But I will candle them all as a whole around Day 14. But before then I’m just candling a handful here and a handful there.

Y'all are making me want to candle my eggs so bad! 😂😭 I was trying to wait until day 7 since it's my first hatch and I didn't want to get discouraged if there weren't obvious signs of development.

Currently on day 3 (counting last Sunday as Day 0 as the eggs went in during the afternoon) and it seems like an eternity.

Since it's your first time, I would say just wait! ;) Once you get more experience and have a better idea of what you're looking at then it will just be interesting for you to peek early rather than stressing about what you might not see. :)

I weigh because I use shipped eggs and the air cells can be wonky (I do also check air cells, but I've found it's less useful than weight). I weigh on D0, D7, D14, and D18, so I can make adjustments to humidity as needed. I use a conditional excel sheet to tell me if things are too dry, too humid, or on track. Doing it this way has made my hatch rate significantly better.

For lockdown, I just candle them. Even with very dark eggs, by the time you get to D14/18 you can usually see activity.
Very interested in the excel sheet if you wouldn't mind sharing a screen grab and some of the formulas. I can always make my husband help me if it's just a screen grab...he is way better at conditional formatting than I am.

If you don’t mind sharing your formula I’d love to use it for my next batch. But honestly I may not hatch any after this batch since I can only handle so many chickens haha.

I'm in for March. Making breeding pen choices and adding the rooster tonight. Probably start collecting to hatch on Monday. Plan to collect for 10-14 days initially and then set every week until I'm pretty sure I'll end up with ~200 chicks.

As usual, Barred Plymouth Rocks. Hoping to weed out a comb defect that came up last year, thus the high hatch goal.

Picking up another GQF 1588 HovaBator tonight from Facebook, so I'll be running 4. Probably 3 incubators and one hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom