Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
Ok, I have my first question all ready. How do I clean my incubator? I just finished my first hatch a week ago, so this will be my seconed. It is a styrofoam Hova bator. I got all the eggshells and big stuff all cleaned up but I'm wondering if I need to do more. The eggs from both hatches had/will be from mine and my neighbor's backyards.

I use a mild bleach solution to sanitize the incubator and then rinse it out with clean water and wipe it down with paper towels. Styrofoam incubators are easier for me to hose out outside and I've even left them to dry in the sun.

I use a mild bleach solution to sanitize the incubator and then rinse it out with clean water and wipe it down with paper towels. Styrofoam incubators are easier for me to hose out outside and I've even left them to dry in the sun.
Same here. And I set it up and turn it on a couple of days ahead of time to tweak the temp.

I couldn’t help myself and just candled my 18 Ameraucana eggs from Gypsy Hen. They are on day 3. I’m beside myself with excitement. Out of the 18, 12 have obvious veining and development!! 4 are too dark and I can’t tell yet. And 2 I’m guessing are clears but won’t toss until day 7. So so happy.

Candling brings me joy

I’m horrible. I candled my eggs again. But from the incubator. I placed the flashlight where the air cell should be and they’re all looking the same size and good movement from the ones that were easy to see. There is yet another brown egg that looked clear like a yolker not fertilized, must have missed it on Day 7. I’ll wait a little longer just to be sure but it’s the only egg that lights up completely and no blood ring or anything really.

I’m horrible. I candled my eggs again. But from the incubator. I placed the flashlight where the air cell should be and they’re all looking the same size and good movement from the ones that were easy to see. There is yet another brown egg that looked clear like a yolker not fertilized, must have missed it on Day 7. I’ll wait a little longer just to be sure but it’s the only egg that lights up completely and no blood ring or anything really.
Lol, I do that, too. I call it a "quicky candle."

Back
Top Bottom