Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Yes, most people allow shipped eggs to rest 8-24 hours. Without knowing how old the eggs were during collecting and shipping I wouldn't wait another week personally. Viability will start to drop off as the eggs age, especially once you're setting eggs that are older than 7-10 days past lay.
Thank you, I'll set the 1st 10 within 24 hours then, will I be able to set the last 6 in the same incubator when they arrive or will I need to use another incubator

I'm also dying for some Ameraucanas (or even just EEs with muffs and pea combs!). I had one several years ago, but she's not with us anymore. I've hatched some EE eggs every year since she died, and only gotten males. This year I asked for some ameraucana from two different sources that were selling blue eggs and who said they had ameraucanas - and each source gave me legbars instead! I love legbars, but I'm still a little disappointed. Oh well . . . gives me an excuse to hatch again next year, right?
That's a pretty interesting oops! At least you still get the pretty eggs 🥰

With getting shipped eggs, you need to let them sit for about 24 hours, is this correct.
I am wondering if I received eggs on thursday, can I store them until the next thrusday when a 2nd shipment of eggs are due to arrive or should I do a staggered hatch

I wouldn't wait more than 24 hours. If the air cells haven't fixed themselves by then, they aren't going to except via moisture loss throughout incubation. In my experience, staggered hatches aren't a very big deal.

Back
Top Bottom