Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

What I worry about the most is whatever heating device you use, will the thermostat work right? Do you just place or install the element and try to get it around the right temp? I havent done much research, so should probably do that :rolleyes:

Or bite the bullet and get the Brinsea cabinet... it’s obvious we all have a problem, might as well treat myself like a true addict :p
If you put the thermostat in it'll work just like a regular incubator. It'll stop heating after it hits the perfect temp you set. Then it'll turn on when the temp starts to lower.

So I got up this morning and the colder spots were still there. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the plastic nesting material I am using to put the eggs on. I am considering removing it. Underneath I have 0,4 inch hardware cloth. Will this be ok for them to hatch on or are those holes to big? Also will this be to hard? I chose this nesting material to give them a softer landing.
Where does the heat come from in your incubator?

If it's from the top then it wouldn't be the nesting material.

Does your incubator have a fan to circulate the air?

If not then I would put one in next time because the air isn't circulating correctly with still air.

Hi everyone!

Tomorrow will be day 15 for my eggies!

This morning the power company decided to let us know they will be turning the power off from 9am to 4pm. 😑 I have styrofoam that came with the incubator that I can put around it, will this be sufficient to keep them safe? 😟
I would do that and maybe some blankets... I'm not sure exactly what to do when you lose power, but I assume getting things that'll keep it warm would be the best bet.

Compared to some of the people on here im a bit of a flake when it comes to hatching. I just candle regularly and make a mental note of air cell size, as long as it is roughly where it should be i just leave the eggs be, i just think if i started down the rocky path of marking and stuff i would over analyse it and consstantly be fiddling with the humidity.

I would do that and maybe some blankets... I'm not sure exactly what to do when you lose power, but I assume getting things that'll keep it warm would be the best bet.

I dont personally know how long your incy retains heat, mine isnt very good at it.
If you have any space i would consider heated rocks or a hot water bottle if it drops too low over time, both ive used effectively in the past.

Where does the heat come from in your incubator?

If it's from the top then it wouldn't be the nesting material.

Does your incubator have a fan to circulate the air?

If not then I would put one in next time because the air isn't circulating correctly with still air.
It has a fan in the top area with 2 light bulbs. The temperature was steady last week. But that was without the nesting material in. I went to get some shelf liner just to be sure. If there aren’t any pips yet when I get home in about an hour I’m going to get them out and put the shelf liner instead of the nesting material.

Back
Top Bottom