Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Good morning!

Chicks are doing well, but I can’t tell who is who lol. I am usually very good about keeping track of hatches, but it’s sugaring season..and I have pneumonia. in other words, I’ve lost track and control of all my crap.

The empty shells indicate:
3 Liege Fighters
1 Quail Brabanconne
2 Altsteirer
2 chocolate Cuckoo Eng. Orps
3 blk Eng. Orps
and 1 missing shell that I must’ve tossed out.

The little one-eyed cross beak is fluffy and perky this morning. None of them have eaten yet, so I haven’t seen how it will do. Still deciding whether to cull it or not. If it can’t eat on its own, we’ll have to cull it.

Anyway, here are this week’s rugrats!

F69A09DB-B002-4021-8DDB-0558623F5779.jpeg

4AD6EB92-671E-425F-9A8C-5B3AC5933700.jpeg

Everyone: How long have you waited to set shipped eggs?

I'm a strong believer that regardless of what the eggs look like it's often "what will be, will be" but the chances of a successful hatch are always higher when the eggs are fresher and they were already delayed by being in the mail so while I did allow my eggs to rest, I waited about 6 hours. 8 to 24 hours is recommended.

Another thing I commonly see is people putting them in the incubator and not turning them for a period of time. There are lots of studies showing that the first 7 days are actually the most important days to turn the eggs so I always put them in the turner...I also use my horizontal turners, lol.

....so I basically went against just about everything I've ever read about shipped eggs, LOL! I had scrambled eggs that had zero development but only 1 actually quitter in the batch that I did as I pleased. Maybe I just got lucky but I'm going to do it again and monitor it much more closely from a few sources so I can say with more confidence what I feel works best.

I'm a strong believer that regardless of what the eggs look like it's often "what will be, will be" but the chances of a successful hatch are always higher when the eggs are fresher and they were already delayed by being in the mail so while I did allow my eggs to rest, I waited about 6 hours. 8 to 24 hours is recommended.

Another thing I commonly see is people putting them in the incubator and not turning them for a period of time. There are lots of studies showing that the first 7 days are actually the most important days to turn the eggs so I always put them in the turner...I also use my horizontal turners, lol.

....so I basically went against just about everything I've ever read about shipped eggs, LOL! I had scrambled eggs that had zero development but only 1 actually quitter in the batch that I did as I pleased. Maybe I just got lucky but I'm going to do it again and monitor it much more closely from a few sources so I can say with more confidence what I feel works best.
You're a rebel! :D

Good morning!

Chicks are doing well, but I can’t tell who is who lol. I am usually very good about keeping track of hatches, but it’s sugaring season..and I have pneumonia. in other words, I’ve lost track and control of all my crap.

The empty shells indicate:
3 Liege Fighters
1 Quail Brabanconne
2 Altsteirer
2 chocolate Cuckoo Eng. Orps
3 blk Eng. Orps
and 1 missing shell that I must’ve tossed out.

The little one-eyed cross beak is fluffy and perky this morning. None of them have eaten yet, so I haven’t seen how it will do. Still deciding whether to cull it or not. If it can’t eat on its own, we’ll have to cull it.

Anyway, here are this week’s rugrats!

View attachment 2051343
View attachment 2051345

Oh my goodness! I hope you feel better! Your peeps are so sweet!!

Hello all things are moving along slowly here but I have another chick! One inside the incubator externally pipped it seems like its moving along ok but it also seems the membrane is brownish. It continues to make the hole bigger but I just want to make sure it’s ok? The humidity is up at 72 I’ve attached a picture. I know it can breath for sure but just want to make sure that looks ok. I’m going out for a bit but should be back in a few hours hopefully there’s progress

Attachments

• D2E00524-CA4A-42CA-B48F-04AAE6AB7C70.jpeg
    D2E00524-CA4A-42CA-B48F-04AAE6AB7C70.jpeg
    584.2 KB · Views: 5
  • FC09BE2F-9601-42FD-82ED-A64D06A4313F.jpeg
    FC09BE2F-9601-42FD-82ED-A64D06A4313F.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F1646C95-30FF-42AD-8500-4C1388EA539C.jpeg
    F1646C95-30FF-42AD-8500-4C1388EA539C.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom