Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Poor little thing! šŸ˜Ÿ I bet that was tough to deal with.

You have two healthies though. No one will have to be alone either. The lady weā€™re getting the emus from sexes her chicks when theyā€™re born. Iā€™m sure if you explore enough in there you can figure it out lol
Omg they hate it lol. It took two of us, and we were still struggling to get ā€œin thereā€ :sick.

Final hatch total. Out of 2Jubilee Orpingtons, One out, one halfway out. Emu... 4 eggs. A didnā€™t develop, as suspected. B and C hatched. D ruptured his umbilical or something similar. Blood everywhere, he didnā€™t survive. :hit

Have you ever tried to vent sex an emu? Omg. I donā€™t ever need to spend that much time trying to grab and pry and poke at anythingā€™s butt ever again. :barnie:gigI think C is a boy, and B a girl. Wouldnā€™t put money on it, but I didnā€™t see any boy parts on B lol.
I vent sexed my ducklings and it was a struggle šŸ˜‚ chicks seem to be the easiest to vent sext. Ducklings are insanely strong. I bet emus are strong too.

I'm not sure if my grandfather ever sexed his ostriches and I wish I could ask him but he hasn't been around since I was in 6th grade. He NEVER had a quitter egg. I'm going to channel my inner grandpa and hatch ostriches some day šŸ˜

C90D7A54-538E-4D91-A3E7-27DFEE92F49E.jpeg
B61C4E75-3A81-41B6-9B37-3366746DB3AD.jpeg

so Kermit is much differently coloured than I originally guessed, now that heā€™s dry. Haha. Brownish spots on his head and yellow-tipped silver down over his back. Sweetest little thing though.:love

Anyone every have an egg without an air cell???

I've never had one without an air cell but I have had some that I had a hard time finding because bthey were somewhere weird on the egg or because the shells were so dark or thick that it didn't light up until I was right in top of it. Once they're incubated for a little while it's much easier to find thise sneaky air cells.

It's been since Thursday that one chick externally piped at the bottom, should I turn the egg or leave it be

Because it pipped on the bottom it made both the internal and external pip in one go so you'll want to allow it twice as long to hatch, which it sounds like you're quickly approaching.
IF you decide to assist you still want to open the air cell first, like you would assist with a chick that isn't upside-down. This way you can look at the interior membrane by applying antibiotic ointment without pain reliever or coconut oil with a q-tip.

I can't remember if we've discussed whether you've done an assisted hatch before.

This is an example of a chick that was pipped in the small end and I opened the air cell to make sure it was actually ready for assisting. This one had started to zip and got stuck but I still checked first to be sure.

8-31-19 pipped in small end opened air cell to see if the yolk sac and blood was absorbed for ...JPG

I've never had one without an air cell but I have had some that I had a hard time finding because bthey were somewhere weird on the egg or because the shells were so dark or thick that it didn't light up until I was right in top of it. Once they're incubated for a little while it's much easier to find thise sneaky air cells.
Theres not one at all. It's a duck egg and I can clearly see everything in it. The air cell was moving at first and now it's gone. The other one that was like this quit.

Back
Top Bottom