Tissue like shell

Kristisp

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
Hi,

One of our chickens is laying eggs that have a shell that is very tissue like and breaks almost immediately. I'm not sure which chick it is. Is this a normal phase or is there something wrong? They were all fine until about a month ago. We give them clam shell and all the other eggs are fine.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks,

Kristi

add a calcium supplament like ground oyester shells. you can get it at your local feed supply store. just sprinkle a little in with the feed.

Since you are already giving them shell, it may be that they're having a hard time metabolizing it...? Try a little Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. (In a plastic waterer, not a metal one). Sometimes that helps. Use the organic kind that hasn't been pasteurized and still has the vinegar mother in it, because the other kind doesn't have all the same benefits to it.

You said they were all laying fine a month ago, right? So that rules out a new layer. Sometimes pullets that are new to laying lay thin-shelled or no-shelled eggs at first. Hm. I'd try the ACV, and maybe supplementing with Kelp, just in case there's a deficiency in a trace mineral.

Anyone else have any ideerz?

How long has she been laying? If this just started, then its probably best that you cull her. If theirs no shell, I don't think oyster shells, vinegar, or minerals will help.

Kristisp, Take into consideration that the metabolism for each hen is different and some take longer to develop and also require
extra attention. I would not consider culling and would give her a chance.

Saving and rinsing and then drying the egg shells then crushing into small pieces and feeding back to the hens is almost 100% calcium, and a good use for the shells.

Providing a feeder with just oyster shells and egg shells for the hens to eat free choice is one of the best things you can provide your hens. They will consume them as needed, and to add to the feed is not the preferred method. Calcium is already added to commercial feed, however additional needs to be fed and will be eaten by the hens that need the extra intake.

bigzio

Last edited:
It happens, it's not a big deal.

It can be stress like if a hen is spooked by a dog that may cause her to pass the egg through her system too quickly, or she may just be getting the hang of laying, or even recovering from an illness.

Unless it's happening all the time for a long time, I wouldn't worry.

Stress, age (either young or getting old), or parasites are the first things to consider. I have one hen that does this for a week whenever I drag the "big blue tarp" by the run. For some reason it really freaks her out. The others couldn't care less.

I'd say, clean out the run and the coop, put out new bedding and put a feeder with oyster shell in there. If it doesn't improve, talk to your vet. It may be the need a de-worming or something along that line. Otherwise, well, you can either have just a nice pet chicken or a nice chicken dinner. Of course, if you named her, it's harder to do the latter.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom