And yet it was still $300 less than my guess, so that's sort of a victory, right? Haha.
Also I guess we'll see what we end up spending on this health issue in total because we will have follow up appointments of course. At least her pain medication was only like $5!
I'll be happy to drop by and report on her progress, of course. She keeps worrying my husband because of how she kind of flops over when using her legs. He went in there and she was upside down at one point. Poor girl probably thinks this is the end for her and doesn't understand why I keep showing up and helping her out. She's still eating and drinking when I come by and remind her that such things exist, though.
Keeping folks updated— it’s not going well. She still panics from not really knowing how to walk with the bandage on. A few times I’ve found her flopped upside down partially wedged under the divider in the crate (which we put in because it seemed like the full crate was just too big to keep her quiet. She still thrashes around in the smaller portion but maybe less dangerously?). She’s also gotten her back feet stuck under the bandage and torn out some of the cast padding and this morning it seemed like the shoulder is protruding more out of the top of the bandage than it was. When I went to check on her a little later it was even more protruded and she seems more uncomfortable again even with the meloxicam on board. I offered some mashed up hard boiled egg with Rooster Booster and her food mixed in and she had no interest in it.
We rushed her back to emergency because the bandage just needs to be replaced, and I would replace it myself but I don’t actually have any bandage material on hand and am not really confident in placing a bandage on a wing fracture. I have no idea if oral sedatives to keep her quiet in her crate are even a possibility but I really wonder because I can’t sit with her 24 hours a day to make sure she hasn’t flopped over.
To top it all off, I called the avian vet back (where we do have an appointment scheduled) to see if there’s anything they can do to get us in sooner, any kind of wait list because it’s only been about two days and she’s already pretty much demolished this bandage and we don’t have an official plan in place yet for continuing care. When I called they informed me that our appointment wasn’t actually scheduled for THIS Sunday but rather the 16th which I think isn’t anywhere near soon enough. So here we are, at the emergency clinic right now and I’m a little at a loss and feel like a tremendous failure.
I really do appreciate the encouragement, it's just been so deflating... I know I'm doing all I can and all that's in my control but again, just deflating. I'm trying to feel better about it.
We're back home now (finally... we were there for nearly four hours because as it happens, emergency clinics handle emergencies. And absolutely patients who've been hit by cars, etc. need rapid attention more urgently than my slipped bandage but otherwise stable little chicken). The good news -- the emergency vet actually called the avian clinic in her capacity as a referring veterinarian to ask if there's any way they can move our appointment to earlier than the 16th, and so now, by magic, little Goga has an appointment there for Thursday, so I'm so relieved about that, at least. They also added Tramadol to her pain meds. They didn't really have any new advice about her crate set up, but depending on how she does I might have to just keep her in the much, much smaller cat carrier if I can figure out a way to also have her little chick waterer fit in there. Hopefully the Tramadol can help knock her out a little in addition to better controlling the pain. This ER vet gave me more of a "more comfortable with avian and exotics" vibe than the one who saw Goga on Sunday and said she modified the type of wrap on Goga's wing so that it'll hopefully be a bit more comfortable. I really hope so.
Again, I truly appreciate the encouragement and support. It's been a rough patch for all of us, not just my little Goga-girl.
Aaaand the saga continues. The tramadol made her really agitated so I don’t think I’ll be continuing that. I went in this morning to move her from the cat carrier (where I’ve kept her confined overnight) back to the crate where her food and water are and it seemed like the wrap had slipped a little bit but was still in place. I went in to check a little while later and she was standing there looking at me like, “oh hi! I feel so much better now that I’ve ripped this wrap completely off!” and the stupid wrap was sitting next to her on the cage floor. Back to emergency we go, I guess! Hopefully this next wrap can stay put until her appointment tomorrow at 4.