to all 4H experts, i have questions

babyelle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
being new to 4H and chickens i was trying to purchase a few bantam chicks for my 7 and 9 year old. i am willing to order up to 10 chicks. the main reason i chose bantams is because i thought they would be easier for small children to handle. my problem is that our local feed store will only special order bantams if i will take 30. no way! i am running into the same problem online and when i find a hatchery that will sell less than 25 or 30 bantams of my choice they are a straight run pick. i don't want to risk getting mostly males. UGH! so now i am considering standard and i have noticed that some standard are smaller but most don't have a docile, easy temperment. again, i am at the mercy of my feed store and what they choose which is mainly good layers. honestly i am feeling frustrated. any suggestions on what type of standard is a good choice or maybe someone can lead me to a hatchery that can meet our needs.

For 4H, I would think you would be much better off going with a breeder than a hatchery. Try asking around for breeders in your area, maybe ask other 4Hers where they got their chickens, check out craigslist (there was a listing in my area today from a breeder that is selling show D'Uccles, 1 day old to 18 months), or the For Sale section on here. You might even consider getting some hatching eggs, if you can find an incubator to borrow.
I was in 4H for all of my grade school years, and I found that working with breeders of the animals that I showed, it gave me a great resource for information. Breeders know their animals and they will want to help you out. Hatcheries just want to make a sale. You're also more likely to get something that will show well from a breeder.
If a hatchery is your only option, see if other 4Hers are interested in splitting an order.

faverolles are a docile breed and not as large as cochins. Most places have a minimum order to keep the chicks warm enough for the trip. What area are you in ? there might be a breeder locally that could help you out.

mypetchicken is good, or you can pick out whatever you want at a show or swap in your area. i recommend silkies or cochin bantams for younger kids in 4-h. older 4-h kids (like me
big_smile.png
) use pretty much any breed, although i personally still prefer bantams. if you do showmenship, old english bantams, seramas, modern game, and sebrights work well as they are small and easy to handle.

Find a poultry show in your area and take your kids to it. let them find a breed they like and talk to the breeders. they usually have sell cages at shows were you can buy birds and most of the breeders will have birds at home that they will sell you. A quality chicken is not that expensive but it is more than you will pay from hatcheries. the thing is your kids will have a lot more fun with birds they can be competitive with and you won't have to order a bunch of birds you don't want. If nothing else you and your kids will have fun and become more informed about breeds and showing.
If you decide a hatchery is the way to go for you. you can go to http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Bantams-c46.aspx like the other posters said or you can see if there are other people in your area that would like to split a large order of bantams with you. Another option would be to order the 25 or so bird and they to sell the extras on craigs list or your local classified ad. If you do that and have the room to keep them all for a wile you can wait and see what birds feather out the best and sell the rest, But remember chicks are easier to sell. So you might be stuck with the birds longer than you want or have to give them away.

Back
Top Bottom