To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by colada584, Aug 31, 2010.

1. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    So I got the okay from DH to order new baby chicks. I currently have 7 20 week olds and 6 12 week olds. Should I get more babies or just be happy with the ones I have til next spring? Hmmmm.......such a hard decision. I have a 10x10 coop and many many acres for free ranging so space isn't a problem. Just can't decide if I want to do the babies again. What's everyones vote? to buy or not to buy?!?

2. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    ohhhhh, buy, buy, buy [​IMG] or get an incubator and get totally addicted [​IMG]. I guess the way I look at it, is that if I buy them now they will be laying by next spring, which is the best time for them to lay. the temps are right and they get the most light.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

10X10=100/4=25CHICKENS MAX Unless you are planning on building a bigger coop and don't plan on getting any snow this year. Otherwise, I'd hold off until you had more room.

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    If I got the okay from the hubby, those chicks would have already been ordered!!!! I just wouldn't be able to resist!

5. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on how much you liked the brooder stage I guess. I didn't really like that part because ours had to be inside the house (no real barn) so I would wait until next year, enjoy what you already have. And you won't be able to put them all together until they are all feathered out, do you have enough space for that?

But I started with 18 chickens right off the bat so who am I to talk?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I know you have lots of room to free range but, will they want to be outside once the heavy snow comes?

7. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Quote:She only has 13 chickens...? [​IMG]

8. ottovan

ottovan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    I'm getting more chickens but it's warm down here til December. Go ahead and get a few more! My problem is not space but getting the coops built. I've built 7 and am working on 8 which will be the last one.

9. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:Last one? [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Buy, Buy, Buy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by