To Catch a Chicken

Pics

GeneticFreak

Chirping
May 26, 2019
Clarksburg, NJ
Folks, I have a coop and an enclosed run. My chickens don't free range. Are there any secrets to catching chickens so that you can check them out, apply medicine, etc. without causing them too much stress? Out of my batch of chickens, most will come by and allow you to pick them up, etc., but I have two who are very shy and hard to catch. Thanks in advance.

Definitely off the roosts, well after dark wearing a head light, I don't chase chickens.
I keep headlight on dim and tipped up so as not to light their path of escape.
I prefer to grab them with both hands holding wings down, into the football hold, then grab legs if needed....talking softly the whole time.
Once they get used to you handling them like this they are pretty calm(if you are calm).

I will tell you this, my mother in law found in her barn, a chicken hook. You use it to snag a leg and pull the bird towards you. It really works quite well, I will try and get a picture.
I've heard of these. I'd love to see a picture!

I have a super flighty Welsummer who wants nothing todo with me. On the 4th, I had to get them into the run early because I was leaving for the night. The rest of the flock just file right in. But that girl? Not even treats would sway her. I had to "herd" her in, which took several minutes of me flushing her out from under bushes and circling the coop.... I felt so stupid. I'm sure I looked stupid. But I can pick up that same girl and carry her around and poke at her feet and inspect her no problem straight from the roost at night!

Back
Top Bottom