To Catch a Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GeneticFreak, Jul 5, 2019.

1. GeneticFreak

GeneticFreak In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Folks, I have a coop and an enclosed run. My chickens don't free range. Are there any secrets to catching chickens so that you can check them out, apply medicine, etc. without causing them too much stress? Out of my batch of chickens, most will come by and allow you to pick them up, etc., but I have two who are very shy and hard to catch. Thanks in advance.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Catch and examine them at night when they are roosting for least amount of stress.

BYC910, brendave, ellend and 33 others like this.
  3. GeneticFreak

May 26, 2019
    Thank you! So just grab her right from the roost? It is OK if all of the other chickens go bonkers (I am assuming they will)? They all roost together.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Move slowly, even talk quietly to them. Grab the bird to be examined by both legs, support the body, fold the wings against the body, and transport to an area where you can examine the bird. Some birds will 'freak' - most will not.

5. GeneticFreak

May 26, 2019
    Thanks again. Very helpful.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Definitely off the roosts, well after dark wearing a head light, I don't chase chickens.
    I keep headlight on dim and tipped up so as not to light their path of escape.
    I prefer to grab them with both hands holding wings down, into the football hold, then grab legs if needed....talking softly the whole time.
    Once they get used to you handling them like this they are pretty calm(if you are calm).

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I will tell you this, my mother in law found in her barn, a chicken hook. You use it to snag a leg and pull the bird towards you. It really works quite well, I will try and get a picture.

9. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I've heard of these. I'd love to see a picture!

I have a super flighty Welsummer who wants nothing todo with me. On the 4th, I had to get them into the run early because I was leaving for the night. The rest of the flock just file right in. But that girl? Not even treats would sway her. I had to "herd" her in, which took several minutes of me flushing her out from under bushes and circling the coop.... I felt so stupid. I'm sure I looked stupid. But I can pick up that same girl and carry her around and poke at her feet and inspect her no problem straight from the roost at night!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: