to clip or not to clip

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by granmahen, Feb 6, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Okay, I live in the city and would like to let my hens out in the back yard now and then, but I've dogs all around me. So do I clip wings or no? One wing, or both? Any concensus?

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is your back yard fenced in? Do the dogs around you come in your yard a lot, or are they just in the surrounding yards? Are these strays? Do you have dogs?

I live in the city, and there are many stray and pet dogs around us. I have a fenced in back yard, and have never clipped wings. I only let the girls out to free range when I'm right there to supervise. I also have 2 dogs of my own, a foster puppy, and my neighbor who shares my yard has a dog. I don't think clipping wings is a good idea at all. It would limit the chickens ability to elude the dog. If you are worried about the chickens ranging over into the neighbors yard, then make sure you stay outside with them when they are out. Also, some breeds are flightier than others and more likely to jump fences. However, out of my more than two dozen birds, I've only ever had a couple that would jump fences, and not very often.

3. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    I do have fences, 8 footers. We've a dog but I plan on putting him in his kennel when chickens are loose. Good idea about being out there with them. Now as long as they don't do what my kids used to do--scatter in three different directions- maybe we're good for go. So far I'll do what you suggest, no clipping. Thanks

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I clip only the left wing (personal preference). I have a neighbor who has three dogs and their fence runs up to the side of my yard. Though I am outside with my chickens when I let them out of their run I am scared that they might hop onto the fence before I can grab them (they sure can move fast when they want to). I only clip one wing (though there is some believe that it will cause the birds to be off balance and not good) I do it and have had no problems but like I said I am outside with them to watch them. The one wing clipping allows them to get to the ground from a roost or my patio furniture safely but doesnt allow them to get any height.

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I was going to ask this same question, thanks for asking it for me [​IMG]

Is there anything bad about clipping wings?

Are there any diagrams on how to do it?

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by