To cover the run...or not.

After 2 winters I finished my covered and secure run; part of an attached pole shed with metal roof and HC everywhere. Being secure I get to leave the pop door open.

1st winter I used HD grey tarps on the walls to provide shelter, this past year I used clear vinyl.

Open access to both run and coop 24/7 reduces stress among the birds and me 'cause one less thing to worry about.

My birds love the sun! Without clear vinyl they will stay in my fresh air open front coop; with it they stay in the run and happily dig holes and dirt&sun bath all day.

I vote to cover the whole thing too. No one has mentioned the Avian Influenza which is going around, but a solid cover over the run would help keep out wild bird droppings which might be carrying AI.

I used polycarbonate panels to cover part of my run. They are a milky color, and the label says 83% light transmission. It was plenty light in the winter, and it was easy to clear off the snow with a push broom. It took five 4x8 panels, and they were $52 each, so not cheap. There was enough left from the drops to make a wind break panel for the west side.

Now that it's spring, there is wonderful light in there. Sunlight comes in nicely from the (unseen) east side. I'll be taking the windbreak panels down soon.

I added onto the run last spring, and that area is covered with a blue tarp. It has some holes in it, but held up better than I thought it would. I plan to cover it with something solid this year, possibly metal panels, as we have some. I used shower curtains on the new area for side windbreak. This is the second year I've used these shower curtains, and they are holding up very well.

Here's a picture.

IMG_1852.JPG

Hi everyone! So we are currently finishing up our chicken coop and in the process of converting the old playhouse into the chicken coop we added a large 20x11 foot run onto it. We live in a mostly wooded area so my thought process was to cover 1/3 of the run incase it rains. I decided to cover the part of the run farther away from the chicken coop because I was thinking along the lines of sunlight - the area farthest away from the coop has more trees and less likely to allow sunlight in. Now after the run is secured and protected I now see that probably wasn't the smartest because my poor chickens would have to run outside into the rain or snow across the run to get to the covered part. :( I would hate to undo all my hard work and I honestly love how it is turning out! I love that the covered part is away from the house despite everyone else disagreeing.

I guess my question is...should I cover the whole run? I read they LOVE sunlight and I would hate to take that away from them. What about the clear plastic roofing material? I currently used the metal roofing sheets for the covered part. Would the clear allow sunlight in or just end up getting covered in leaves and dirty?

I don't know about free range just yet, like I mentioned we live in a wooded area mostly and that means more predators. I also will have over 20 chickens (and 2 ducks) when it is all said and done and I don't know if they all will abide and stay in my yard?

Picture for reference! Also be nice, I think we did very well - it also is not 100% complete yet!
Hi. I think moving the covered area away from the coop is a great idea. If your area has alot of rain you may want to cover more. You can even divide it up so there is cover over the coop door area and at the end and none in the middle.

I started free ranging by letting them out an hour before sunset and sit out with them and as the sun sets they all find their way back to the coop all by themselves to roost.

0311F153-EAAA-4DD4-979E-610A81981CE9.jpeg

It was raining like the end of days and you can see they are all in the center of the run trying to stay dry. I think if you’re going to let them out of the run at some point during the day (or even if you’re not), the more covered area, the better!

After 2 winters I finished my covered and secure run; part of an attached pole shed with metal roof and HC everywhere. Being secure I get to leave the pop door open.

1st winter I used HD grey tarps on the walls to provide shelter, this past year I used clear vinyl.

Open access to both run and coop 24/7 reduces stress among the birds and me 'cause one less thing to worry about.

My birds love the sun! Without clear vinyl they will stay in my fresh air open front coop; with it they stay in the run and happily dig holes and dirt&sun bath all day.
Do you have a link to the vinyl you used? 😁

Back
Top Bottom