To cull or not to cull

My thoughts exactly. Thank you @Wyorp Rock!
I was hoping vitamins would be helpful.
It doesn’t seem able to see. One eye looks a little swollen but the eye isn’t bulging. It smacks into the side of the brooder and doesn’t seem to notice when my hands are in it. It walks in rapid circles, and seems to have difficulty in keeping its head from swiveling. I’m worried it suffered neurological damage despite it not falling far or all that badly it landed in the shavings of the brooder.

I don't know much about Quail, but I'm a bit confused.

This is a 3week old chick, he's able to walk, eat/drink on his own and preen?
Doesn't sound like there's too much wrong if he's able to do all that.

A video of actions may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Walking in circles from trauma - I would give him vitamin therapy. Do you have any Poultry Nutri-drench? If so, give him .25ml once a day. Otherwise, give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

As for culling a tiny chick, using shears or scissors is the best method. Read this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/
All I have is an electrolyte supplement for their drinking water which I add about every other refill. Here is the link of the video:

This is likely temporary. The eyes work independently from each other, so when one eye is blind from swelling, the other eye won't necessarily compensate. Be patient. This chick probably will heal.

Vitamin B comlex can help repair any nerve connections that may have been damaged. Vitamin E with a tiny bit of selenium likewise will help.

All I have is an electrolyte supplement for their drinking water which I add about every other refill. Here is the link of the video:
From your descriptions, I honestly thought that he was a lot worse off than he seems to be. The video shows him acting as if he has impaired vision (which he probably does), but impaired vision isn't necessarily something to cull over. This will probably heal in time, though it may take a while.

If you can find Sav-A-Chick anywhere, you can put that in the water and it may promote healing- at the very least, it can't hurt. I've never used it myself, so I'm not exactly sure of its' effects, but it contains beneficial vitamins and electrolytes that might help him out.

I won't second guess the medical advice you are recieving from Azygous and Wyorp Rock, those would be my "go to"s in the case of chicken emergency.

If, however, it comes to it. A SHARP! knife (not merely Sharp, or worst of all, sHArP) will dispatch quite effectively, any size. For a little, grap the feet, lay him sideways, use the weight of the base of the knife to hold the neck against the board, then turn the edge perpendicular and draw back cleanly with gently pressure. Like flipping an omelet or a pancake, it needs to be done with confidence. Hesitation is no courtesy to the bird, and no favor to yourself.

Best you do this in an area easy to clean. Outside, on a plastic folding table, is my preference.

In the words of Master Yoda. "Do, or Do Not. There is no Try".

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciate it. Hopefully little guys condition will improve over time. I just didn’t want to keep him alive for my sake rather than his if the poor thing had brain trauma. These are my third and only successful round of hatching eggs. I really want and need these birds to thrive or else my husband may cull me after all their expenses!

From watching your video, I think your chick deserves a chance. My wryneck quail went around in circles half the time, but I gave him a good chance and he’s now a fully-functioning content member of the group. I agree with others to wait before deciding to cull. It’s up and moving around. If you see that it’s eating and drinking, the little one may pull out of this none the worse for wear. Good Wishes.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciate it. Hopefully little guys condition will improve over time. I just didn’t want to keep him alive for my sake rather than his if the poor thing had brain trauma. These are my third and only successful round of hatching eggs. I really want and need these birds to thrive or else my husband may cull me after all their expenses!
@Tinktank this thread is from November 2021 Can you give us an update please?

From watching your video, I think your chick deserves a chance. My wryneck quail went around in circles half the time, but I gave him a good chance and he’s now a fully-functioning content member of the group. I agree with others to wait before deciding to cull. It’s up and moving around. If you see that it’s eating and drinking, the little one may pull out of this none the worse for wear. Good Wishes.

Back
Top Bottom