To cull or not to cull?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So I have a little chick with some odd leg issues. Our avian vet says it's hard to tell what is exactly wrong, but splinting it might help. She thinks it might be a loose joint. So I've put a hobble on it and isolated him so he doesn't panic. He has to be fed as he can't stand to eat with the hobble on. After 3 days, his appeitite has greatly improved, his energy has somewhat improved, but his legs have gotten no better, if not worse. So should I cull him? I feel bad because he clearly has a strong will to live and if I cull him now I might be giving up too early. But I don't want him to suffer and I don't have any space for special needs chickens. [​IMG] What would you do?

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I'd cull probably.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not real quick to kill a chick or chicken unless it has an infectious disease or is suffering. If it is thriving now, I'd advise some patience.

One thing I would consider. If you raise your own replacement birds, I would not let it reproduce. I would not want those traits in my flock.

You are the only one to be able to judge what you should do. I know it is a hard decision. Good luck.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

if it is strong and otherwise healthy, give it some time.

5. robyncorrine

robyncorrine Out Of The Brooder

I say give it more time.....
    But I am a real pushover most of the time..
    Only you can make the right decision for you and your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by