to cull or not tto cull? Egg layer (or not)

vatterpa

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Indiana, PA
Alright my peeps,

I have 4 americauna hens that were laying 3 eggs a day as of 3 months ago (or so). Havent had an egg since. I do have a flock of 43. They get fed about 3 gallons of feed a day + scraps. I also give 3 qts of cracked corn. I have 8 others that just started laying within the last 5 or 6 weeks. i watch them eat and all are getting a chance at feed. Even Drumstick, the handicapped chicken. I have 9 nests availible, though all lay in one. I was told when I bought them that they were 6months (june).
I'm lost here. If they dont lay they are going to freezer camp wioth the roosters. Any help????
idunno.gif

My EE girls were in a broody phase when I got them. Took one 6 weeks til she layed. The other just laid her first egg today, though I used her as a mama for a day old chick for the last 10 weeks. I believe that they go in and out a bit more radically than standard layers. Hope you don't have to cull.

they were laying for like 3 months then, nothing. they are in fact pure americaunas if it makes a difference. they didn't lay for 3 weeks after I got them, then were just fine. Hmmm.......

yes it takes that long mine haven't laid in a month and one started cuz she wasn't molting the others are BARELY molting and no eggs
barnie.gif
I wouldn't cull them I'd up their protein to help them out maybe it will even them out enough to lay again while molting also the shorter days are really affecting them too

yeah the molts can be pretty unpredictable. I have a few who pop right out of it and start laying again pretty quick, the rest just take their sweet time. Last year, they went into a molt in fall, and I got ZERO eggs til spring. Talk about free loaders! I'm hoping this fall/winter won't be like last year (last year we also got a few new hens so there were other factors in them not laying, like working out the pecking order, shorter days, colder weather, etc...but the molt came first - then new hens, and winter)....but, I'm not crossing my fingers.

Mine are molting now, and getting their extra protein and such, but I did have to buy my first dozen eggs this week since spring. My son was like "this is a disgrace!" lol.

I have a thing about culling hens under a year or two of age for the simple reason they should be in their prime laying age and they often have starts and stops in the process--they may go from no eggs to one a day. If the birds were over 2 years of age and stopped laying I'd get rid of them. Just my take on the whole thing.

They may just need a break. I would leave them. I feel they deserve a break, poor things. Winter is the time to molt so they may also be molting and they do not lay then. I would not get rid of pure Ameraucanas because they are laying slow in winter. Give them a chance!

Do you have a light in the coop until 9pm or so, to make up for lost daylight?

Back
Top Bottom