To Dye or NOT to Dye,...THAT is the Question,...

Quote:
are you sure your not my mother?
LOL
she ambushed me last week with hair dye a comb a head band , i am totally gray and under 45 and gave me that exact speech

Quote:
are you sure your not my mother?
LOL
she ambushed me last week with hair dye a comb a head band , i am totally gray and under 45 and gave me that exact speech

Except for the part where I said it is a personal choice.
lol.png

At 36, I was "forced" into dyeing my hair by my lil sis in order to be in her wedding and I've regretted that decision ever since. Having brown hair makes it difficult to stop w/o showing all those roots and my hair grows SO fast that I have to colour it every 10 days or 2 weeks at the most!

I started turning silver at 16, so I've never associated it with age...that being said it's ironic that I must be married to the one man who goes gaga for women with silver hair and would LOVE it if I would go natural again. When we go to parties, I don't worry about those blonds - he never looks at them! So, one of these days when I'm pulling out the gloves and the colour, and I've reached the end of that rope, I'll call my hairdresser who claims she can put in silver streaks to start blending it in.

Bottom line is this: 1st please yourself; 2nd, if you're married, get your hubby's opinion - it's the only one that should matter (after yours of course) and then tell your family to get a life! There's nothing sexier than a silver haired confident woman!

I home dyed my hair for a few years and finally I just said the heck with it. My once curly dark hair turned silver with a black fringe on the back. While I think I look my age, I am at the point of eliminating things in my life that aren't important to me. I think it is a personal choice though.

One strange thing: A lady who works at the farm store had cancer. When her hair grew in, it was curly. She said her hair was never curly. It is beautiful silver. Tough way to have beautiful hair.

A close friend of mine is also a cancer survivor and after chemo her hair also came back in grey and curly. Quite a change from her waist-length, straight, black hair. She considered dying it when it started coming back in grey so it wouldn't be such a shock to everyone, but changed her mind. She just had her first post-cancer haircut last week. Another important milestone for a cancer survivor.

I used to dye my hair all the time. Lots of colors blue/green/pink/purple/multi colored. It was expensive and usually around tax time I get the hair color bug but mostly I'd rather spend the money on other stuff now.

I just turned 50 and just stopped coloring my hair. I've been coloring my long black hair for probably 25 years or more. I also cut it all off so the grey could grow out without the roots showing. I cut it really short then cut it again every two weeks. Now I have all the artificial haircolor cut out and my truly natural salt and pepper hair, more grey than not, grown out. I'll probably let the hair length grow now.

My grown kids think I've gone crazy and do say it makes me look older but hey, I am older. I'm also, at 50, more secure about myself than I ever was in the past. I've accomplished all of my goals, dreams and ambitions - I own several businesses - I've travelled the world. I've come a long way since that scared, timid, shy, poor little girl that everyone picked on. I really don't give a rats patooty what anyone thinks of my looks anymore. Besides, I now own a farm and work outside caring for my animals and my gardens all day long. The short hair is very liberating. In addition to cutting out the coloring every two weeks, I've also cut off my natural long fingernails and stopped painting them too. Since I was 13 my natural nails have always been about an inch long and usually polished red. They used to consume hours of time weekly.

I can tell you it is a very liberating feeling letting go of vanity.

Looking your age does not mean not looking good or not caring about your appearance. I am very comfortable with getting older but I refuse to quit caring about my appearance. My best friend has gotten extremely heavy and his excuse is that it doesn't matter because he's old. I still exercise regularily and weigh the same as I did forty five years ago. I try to stay in shape and well groomed. You never know, if Hope and my kids ever stick me in a nursing home I just might want to be the heart throb of the blue haired girls.
lau.gif

ETA: Nah, that's dyed hair.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom