To Dye or NOT to Dye,...THAT is the Question,...

Up-the-Creek

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
West Virginia
Ok ladies, some people are funny about admiting to this,.. but how many of you dye your hair??? Not for the flash of something different, but to cover those nasty grays??? Reason why I am curious, this has been a hot topic in my family for awhile. I am the youngest,...37ish or so,..anyway, my hair is going silver and it is going quick. Some people gray earlier than others,...I am one of the unfortunate ones. I dyed my hair for about 5 yrs on and off and then I decided not to do it anymore. I did not like what it was doing to my hair. I have natural curly hair and the chemicals had fried my hair something awful. So I let it grow out,...it was salt and peppered (mostly salt!),..I thought it looked good and my hair finally felt "normal" again. My family though, thought I was nuts! They kept riding me and riding me to color my hair. They kept saying,"It makes you look sooooo old!" Believe me, I am not one to care about what others think so much, but this is all I heard for a year. So I broke down and dyed it,...worst mistake I have made in a long time! My hair feels like crap now, completely out of hand unruly,...SO. I am planning to grow it out once again and getting it back to normal,..with no dye! My question is, Am I missing something here??? Is it a bad thing for a younger woman to have gray/silver hair?? Why is it such a BIG deal for women to let their hair just be "natural"?

No dying here. I donate my hair every year or so, from hips to shoulderblades, and they won't take dyed hair. It's still the auburn color it is natrually (back in 2000 when highlights were big I did it once, and hated the whole process). If you want it natrual, then keep it so.

I just turned 36. I'm a natural redhead and i'm also going grey..(actually redheads go white not grey..UGH ) at my temples, big chunks all at the back of my head..etc..yup.. going grey young here also!
hit.gif
So..i just (a few weeks ago)went to the hairdressers and got my hair frosted or maybe its called highlights
hu.gif
. Anyway she used a really light blond and a darker red and blended it all. It really hides the grey.
love.gif
You think i can do this till i'm 80?
lau.gif

Quote:
I agree with you! I am a lil older then you and have never ever put color in my hair. Its long to my waist, med brown w/ grey. My sister has always dyed hers and I just never did. Its like once you start you can't stop. Then there are the issues of roots. I am just all natural. Hold your head up and your only as old as you feel....
thumbsup.gif

I dye my hair. When I was younger, I hightlighted it. Now it has gray, so I do the whole thing. Sometimes I still highlight it.

There is nothing wrong with dying your hair.

AND

There is nothing wrong with NOT dying your hair!!

I feel prettier when my mousy hair has a little sparkle. But I have seen some beautiful gray hair too.

Last edited:
My mom's friend frosted her hair when it started turning grey and I love it and I am a teenager, I think it looks really cute on her.

You can dye it if you want to, but if you don't, that's Ok.

(Personally, I love white and silver hair. It has the look of someone who has earned much wisdom over the years.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 34 and starting to get a lot of white hairs, which really stand out against my dark brown hair. I am not going to dye mine. I dyed it when I was younger just because I wanted it to be a different color. It's so bad when the roots start growing out and you have to color it over and over again to keep it all the same color. I have decided that mine can just go gray when it's time.
hmm.png

I am only 25 and don't have grey hair, so I may have no right to say this BUT...

I say if you don't like the way your hair feels after you dye it then DON'T DYE IT! Who cares what your family thinks? Tell the ones who harass you that you love them dearly and you value their opinions, but if they don't like your decision they can just go sit on a tack!
tongue.png
I think people look fine natural- even if it is grey! We can't all be beauty queens and movie stars- but hey- I'm just an Iowa counrty girl
big_smile.png

I just wonder why women are so conditioned to think natural is so wrong?
I understand that if you choose to dye your hair that is your decision and it is okay, but it goes both ways, if you choose not to, that should be okay too. BUT for some odd reason, or maybe it is just my strange family and the area we live in,but they think it is just plan terrible.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom