To Eat, Or Not To Eat?

Ok, here are my opinions....

1.Cockerel.... mixed breed
2. Group.... I see at least 5 cockerels in that shot
3.Cockerel and he looks to be a cochin or cochin mix.... does he have feathered shanks?
4.Cockerel.... mixed breed
5.Thinking cockerel but would wait a bit longer to be sure....Light Brahma
6.Cockerel.... mixed breed or barred EE
7.Pullet.... Gold Laced Wyandotte
8.Cockerel.... EE
9.Cockerel.... mixed breed
10.Cockerel.... mixed breed
11.Thinking cockerel but would wait a bit longer to be sure.... looks to be an Ameraucana.... if it is a pullet it is worth keeping or selling.
12.Pullet.... could be a number of different breeds Australorp, Jersey Giant or even a mix.
13.Pullet.... EE
14.Cockerel.... Silver Laced Wyandotte
15.Cockerel.... mixed breed
16.Group shot again
17.Pullet in foreground, two cockerels behind her.

I'm amazed that those 3 pullets are not bare backed, injured or dead with all those males running around. If you are unable to process the males straight away, you would be well advised to remove the pullets for their own safety as things can change pretty much overnight once those guys' hormones kick in.

Good luck and happy eating.... you will find them quite a bit tougher than Cornish X chickens from the store, if you have not had dual purpose before. They need to be well rested for a few days after processing before cooking or freezing and slower cooking will be best as those boys look to be at least double the age Cornish X are processed and since they have been free ranging those muscles will be toned and sinews get stronger and tougher. Still good eating but probably not great cooked on the grill.

Ok, here are my opinions....

1.Cockerel.... mixed breed
2. Group.... I see at least 5 cockerels in that shot
3.Cockerel and he looks to be a cochin or cochin mix.... does he have feathered shanks?
4.Cockerel.... mixed breed
5.Thinking cockerel but would wait a bit longer to be sure....Light Brahma
6.Cockerel.... mixed breed or barred EE
7.Pullet.... Gold Laced Wyandotte
8.Cockerel.... EE
9.Cockerel.... mixed breed
10.Cockerel.... mixed breed
11.Thinking cockerel but would wait a bit longer to be sure.... looks to be an Ameraucana.... if it is a pullet it is worth keeping or selling.
12.Pullet.... could be a number of different breeds Australorp, Jersey Giant or even a mix.
13.Pullet.... EE
14.Cockerel.... Silver Laced Wyandotte
15.Cockerel.... mixed breed
16.Group shot again
17.Pullet in foreground, two cockerels behind her.

I'm amazed that those 3 pullets are not bare backed, injured or dead with all those males running around. If you are unable to process the males straight away, you would be well advised to remove the pullets for their own safety as things can change pretty much overnight once those guys' hormones kick in.

Good luck and happy eating.... you will find them quite a bit tougher than Cornish X chickens from the store, if you have not had dual purpose before. They need to be well rested for a few days after processing before cooking or freezing and slower cooking will be best as those boys look to be at least double the age Cornish X are processed and since they have been free ranging those muscles will be toned and sinews get stronger and tougher. Still good eating but probably not great cooked on the grill.

We're going to process them all this week. The girls will be safe. :)

1. Mixed Cockerel
2. Silver Laced Cochin Cockerel
3. Mixed Cockerel
4. Light Brahma Cockerel
5. EE Mixed Cockerel
6. Gold Laced Wyandotte Pullet
7. EE Cockerel
8. EE Cockerel
9. EE Cockerel
10. Black Austrolorp or Jersey Giant Pullet
11. EE Pullet
12. Silver Laced Wyandotte Cockerel
13. Mixed Cockerel

I’m not seeing that as a naked foot. I’m seeing it as a feathered on the outside 2 toes, foot... (and the other naked on the inside toes foot) just like my light Brahma. Not the best pic, and clearly it’s a younger pullet (so it’s feet feathers aren’t all the way grown in), but I’m sticking with it.

excellent vision! :lau

I didn't see that at all! Then I agree, Light Brahma

Back
Top Bottom