To EE or not to EE. That is the question

azurbanclucker

Science! 🥃🦖
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Apr 29, 2017
Korriban
I've been going back and forth with this girl on breed. When we got her, the store said she was an Ameracauna. The more research I did online, the more convinced I was that she's an EE. Now with the beard and muffs she's got showing, I'm starting to doubt myself.

BYC pros, what kind of bird is my Merry?

IMG_20170617_075643.jpg

IMG_20170617_075314.jpg

I'm going to say EE. There are 8 accepted colors for Americaunas, which are shown here: http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html
I have EE's and some have the muffs &/or beards, and some do not, color range is really broad. I have also raised EE's crossed with other breeds and likewise some of those have the muffs/beards and some do not. Unless you are planning on showing them it doesn't really matter. My EE's are some of the friendliest and easiest going birds, and I have a EE/Wyandotte rooster who is really awesome and sweet. The vast majority of time when "Americauna" chicks are for sale, they are EE's.
Here is another (of many) articles discussing the difference: http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...n-ameraucana-and-easter-egg-chickens-zbcz1408

Yours looks like my easter egger :) except mine has a clean face. She's 9.5 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    811.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5521.JPG
    IMG_5521.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5586.JPG
    IMG_5586.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5648.JPG
    IMG_5648.JPG
    794.3 KB · Views: 8
I've been going back and forth with this girl on breed. When we got her, the store said she was an Ameracauna. The more research I did online, the more convinced I was that she's an EE. Now with the beard and muffs she's got showing, I'm starting to doubt myself.

BYC pros, what kind of bird is my Merry?

View attachment 1045422
View attachment 1045421
Looks like an EE. When she begins to lay you will know for sure. Americanas only lay blue eggs, when an EE can lay any color egg.

6 months-ish. She lays a beautiful pale blue egg.

Looks like an EE. When she begins to lay you will know for sure. Americanas only lay blue eggs, when an EE can lay any color egg.

She's laying a blue egg, so that's not gonna help. :) However, I think the general consensus is that I"m not crazy, and she's still an EE. :)

Back
Top Bottom