To Feed Or Not To Feed

ChikeeMomma

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Mid Michigan
I wanted to try my hand at Cornish Xs this year and was wondering if any of you just feed them broiler feed with no antibiotics/vitamins. Last year I raised some Dixie Rainbows and they were fed just a straight broiler feed with nothing extra added in. I'd like to do the same with the Cornish Xs. I was told that the Cornish Xs need the antibiotics/vitamins added to their feed because of the problems they can encounter (ex. leg problems). I want my food (meat chickens) au natural as they can be. Do you find this true?

You do not have to feed Cornishes medicated feed. With their short lives it isn't neccessary. It is a good idea to get some kind of vitamin booster for their water. This will help prevent leg and other health problems. I have done them with and without booster.

Thanks bigredfeather! Good to know. My feed store guy has a medicated feed for the broilers and I don't want that! I know they could mix me something separate and I know the local amish feed store also has a broiler feed. Hopefully theirs isn't medicated. I bought the nonmedicated for my Dixie's from a farmer, who was located near where I picked the Dixies up at. So he was not local to me.

I feed medicated chick starter, then switch to regular non medicated broiler feed. The med is just for cocci, and it is out of their system come butcher time. Never heard of antibiotics in the feed, and not really needed. Wouldn't you treat birds with anitbiotics after they have aneed, not as a preventative?

It is a good idea to give broilers a vitamin supplement to help prevent leg and other problems. It is NOT an antibiotic. Murray McMurray sells something they call Broiler Booster and it works pretty well. It is added to the water.

Maybe the feed store guy was speaking of a medicated starter. I don't feed my chicks that either. I feed them nonmedicated all the way through. I haven't had any issues yet, so I'll probably keep on the nonmedicated path. Thanks for all the info!

Back
Top Bottom