To fix or start over.....that is the question?

dbergman1126

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Virginia
The other morning my husband went out before work to feed our chickens and water them before we left, he comes back in says we have a problem something got 10 of our chickens last night this critter dug in one way and put the next....mind you the coop we were using was one that has been on our property for a long time and probably has been out of commission for a few years at least the two we have been here we know of, any who I hate the thought of starting over but I also want to think I can fix this coop to where it needs to be.....any thoughts this coop has tin walls dirt floor I had read somewhere that maybe concreting the floor may keep predators out which would not be hard again any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated because the 12 chickies I have left probably are hating the fact that I let out in a dog pen during the day and in close them at night in my mud room in extra large pet carriers but I couldn't just let them go down without a fight I guess my biggest fear is whatever the critter is I'm suspecting a fox will come back

You could also use an 'apron' to deter diggers. Attach some fencing to the walls of the coop and out about 18-24" buried with 2-3" of dirt or sod...or just stake it on top of the ground and let the grass grow up thru it.

Usually they start to dig at the base of the wall and are quickly discouraged when they hit the fencing.

Here's a good thread about aprons

Outside for sure!
Just makes more sense to stop them from digging on the outside rather than let them dig all the way under the floor before they are thwarted.

Also thinking of building a coop since the one we currently have is away from the house do you know where I can find a simple plan for a coop to hold at least 10 chickens

Also thinking of building a coop since the one we currently have is away from the house do you know where I can find a simple plan for a coop to hold at least 10 chickens

What I suggest is find plans to build a shed and convert that. All you need to add is a roost, nests, a pop door, a window, and ventilation. None of that is hard.

You can check with your local library. They should have several books that show you how to build a shed, or if you chat with the librarian, a book can be ordered.

If you absolutely have to spend money, go by Lowe’s or Home Depot and look at their magazines. They should have some building a shed books for sale.

I agree with the apron concept. Easy to install and very effective.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom