To Free Range OR Not???

Yes Hobby, if they are penned all the time I would keep feed in there for them, they need something to do. How big is your pen and how many chickens? They would also enjoy some grass and greens too. Fruit, things to pick on.
You do not really need to let chickens free range but I find they are much happier and the eggs are better. If you do not have the best neighbors then don't ask for trouble UNLESS they like chickens???????

I give them veggies from the garden and all the bugs / worms my boy can catch (just to watch them eat 'em). They have been only getting feed in the am / pm plus shelled corn scattered out to scratch for. I have 10 bird in a 20 x 30. They get cut grass and clover too!

Sounds good Hobby. Even though my birds free range during the day there is always feed in their pens. I keep a feeder hanging in one of the coops with layer and then have a few small ones with grower in the pens. Right now I have many young hens that are still on the grower pellets as they have not started laying yet. I probably feed every wild bird in the state too...lol
Your chickens sound very lucky with a good set up.

I've been letting my leghorns free range daily since my first post and have had no problems. They are amusing to watch! Now though, they are getting used to it and are doing a lot more exploring, and enjoying every minute of it! My chocolate lab is even leaving them alone, although I wouldn't leave her alone out there with them. If they venture too far, they are easy to "round up".I do have A LOT of roaming space for them. An acre and 3/4 of land, with all kinds of plantings and some woods. I have neighbors that don't mind the chickens, in fact they have some of their own that free range occasionally. When dusk rolls around, they all return home!

Dan

Hi Rocky - I've been letting mine free range since they were 4 weeks old. We have woods, creek, and every predator God created but the joy of living free that I see on those chicks faces is worth the risk. They have so much fun. Most days they free range from morning till night and so far nothing has happened to them. Some days I have to walk a ways into the woods to find them. However, I started in small steps by letting them out at dusk while I was out there. Initially they acted the same way yours did - very cautious at first. Slowly they will start to go farther and farther but they always come home - they're not as dumb as you would think - they know where they live. Mine also come running anytime I go outside because I usually have a bag of food/treats for them so I can get them in the run early if I need to. However, under the "they're not as dumb as you think" category - many times I will find that they've come back to the run during the day and are sleeping in or under the raised coop or under bushes in their run. I used to go up and close the gate if they were all in. Now, being the intelligent creatures that they are - if the are all in the run and they see me coming they all JUMP up at once and run out the gate like "Oh no, you're not locking us in". It's really funny. And if I don't open that gate each morning they pace back and forth in front of it saying "open, open, open". And when it is finally opened, it is true bliss. They fly and run and the fun begins. I leave chick feed in the pen at all times but they rarely eat it now that they free range all day. For those of you who don't free range - I would suggest that you never start it if you aren't going to stick with it and aren't willing to risk losing one to a predator because once you start it's like starting them on crack cocaine and it becomes something they DEMAND and want more and more of. I've read posts on here that says a chicken doesn't know any difference and doesn't know it's locked up it's whole life - I beg to differ, especially if you've ever shown it the difference.

Ruth---Thanks for your reply! Tell me------What is in that bag of treats that you give them??
Like I said before, these are leghorns, and they don't let anybody get too close. I would love to get them to come to me! Dan

Oh Ya, chickens are much happier with their freedom. Let's not forget they were all wild birds till we thought we needed to pen them up for more control over them.

Chickens love to free range. I keep my flock in the coop and run till noon. Once the doors open to the outside, the only ones staying inside are the ones in the nests laying. My hens know when noon is near and are waiting to have their daily freedom... they also know where the security of the coop is come sundown.

I would not have chickens if i had to keep them penned 24/7.

Being concerned about your flock is the best approach. It is what gives my flock it's freedom.
wee.gif

bigzio

Hi Rocky - I've been feeding mine extra food from the beginning. Once I started letting them free range at 4 weeks if I wanted them back in their coop I just went out there with my large zip lock bag and shake it and they come running. They've learned that there's all kinds of good things in there. I leave chick food in their run and coop 24/7 but I feed mine twice a day from "the bag". It's a combination of things - cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, fruits, veggies, sandwich meat, scratch and their all time favorite - shredded cheese. If you start going out there with a bag of goodies every day and shake it and sprinkle the food on the ground - trust me, they'll come running. Like I said they are not as dumb as one would think. I don't handle/pet my chickens though the black sex links (which I had first) are much more calm and will jump up on my chair if I'm sitting and will let me pet them. But, I couldn't catch or pet one of the EEs if I had to and believe me I've tried. I used to get worried when it stormed and they were running loose. But, again, not dumb, they learned to come in and get in their coop or under their coop. But they come running right up to me when they see that bag and if you didn't know better you would think they were my best friends and vice versa. Give it a try. I use the large freezer bags and just wash it out after each use and let it dry and it's ready for the evening meal. One day my son said "Mom, you spend more time cutting up and preparing food for those chickens than you do for us." I said, "Yeah, what's your point".

My sentiments exactly Ruth. It is definately a chance to take and I have lost my share to predators. But I believe in animals having their freedom to some extent given location, it is good for both body and mind and overall health. I know someone who has chickens, they are never let out to free range and they have a gorgeous farm, big open pastures, a chicken heaven. The chickens look like crap, they are all bald from attacking each other and just look miserable. The pen is a very good size and it is not really chicken overpopulated but there are enough in there where they are just miserable I guess.
Rocky, they will come for food believe us!!! Does not matter what breed they are. I buy the big containers of dry oatmeal, they do backflips for it. Yesterday they had strawberrys that were in the fridge starting to go bad. Bread, crackers, pasta, they love it all, and they will come to you. I cluck like a chicken and as soon as they hear me they come a running.

OK--- Then they must be like my choc. lab-----If it's human food, they'll love it. I'll start practicing my clucking also! Thanks for all the advice------------Dan

Back
Top Bottom