To go into the bator, or to rest?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, Oct 7, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    this will be my second hatch with my forced air + *new* auto egg turner LG bator. I think the last shipped eggs i did i waited 12 hours....and on day 22 i had an 85% hatch rate.

So, i just got 2 different shipment's of bantam eggs today at 2pm. Think i should put them in tonight?? Or let them rest a little while longer and put them in tomorrow around lunch time?? Thought i would ask and get a few opinions. thanks

2. Laurelm

Laurelm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    I always unpack and let them rest in egg carton - large end up for 12 to 24 hours. I think it helps the air sac settle and the egg ajust to room temp.

3. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:hmmm i see. thanks for your input. Any other help everyone??

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I let mine rest at least 24 hours, sometimes longer.

5. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I let mine rest almost 2 full days. I had issues with the air cells looking like crap when I got them tho, and now I've removed all but 4 of the original 16 from that batch.

6. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:were they detached?? or just large?

7. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:About half were huge, and maybe a third of the other half (3 out of the remaining 9) looked detached.

Oh and I typo'd... original quantity was 18, not 16.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  8. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:About half were huge, and maybe a third of the other half (3 out of the remaining 9) looked detached.

Oh and I typo'd... original quantity was 18, not 16.

hmm detached cells are a toss up, but the large air cell's are no problem. Had 11 eggs come to me with every single air cell VERY large. 7 were fertile and thoe's 7 all hatched for me all fine and grew up VERY healthy.

9. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I only let eggs rest for 8 hours, perhaps I am hasty....

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Personally I don't believe they really need to rest if they are not chilled and you are putting them into a turner or carton in the bator. Sometimes air sacs benefit from sitting upright for at least a few days but they don't have to be out of the incubator to do that. I just make sure they are room temp or warmer before they go in the bator and put them in a turner or set the cartons in the bator and decide the next day based on degree of air sac movement if I want to incubate by tilting the carton or lay the eggs on their sides and turn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by