To go into the bator, or to rest?????

k2chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
New Castle, Indiana
this will be my second hatch with my forced air + *new* auto egg turner LG bator. I think the last shipped eggs i did i waited 12 hours....and on day 22 i had an 85% hatch rate.

So, i just got 2 different shipment's of bantam eggs today at 2pm. Think i should put them in tonight?? Or let them rest a little while longer and put them in tomorrow around lunch time?? Thought i would ask and get a few opinions. thanks

I always unpack and let them rest in egg carton - large end up for 12 to 24 hours. I think it helps the air sac settle and the egg ajust to room temp.

I let mine rest almost 2 full days. I had issues with the air cells looking like crap when I got them tho, and now I've removed all but 4 of the original 16 from that batch.

Quote:
About half were huge, and maybe a third of the other half (3 out of the remaining 9) looked detached.

Oh and I typo'd... original quantity was 18, not 16.

Last edited:
Quote:
About half were huge, and maybe a third of the other half (3 out of the remaining 9) looked detached.

Oh and I typo'd... original quantity was 18, not 16.

hmm detached cells are a toss up, but the large air cell's are no problem. Had 11 eggs come to me with every single air cell VERY large. 7 were fertile and thoe's 7 all hatched for me all fine and grew up VERY healthy.

Personally I don't believe they really need to rest if they are not chilled and you are putting them into a turner or carton in the bator. Sometimes air sacs benefit from sitting upright for at least a few days but they don't have to be out of the incubator to do that. I just make sure they are room temp or warmer before they go in the bator and put them in a turner or set the cartons in the bator and decide the next day based on degree of air sac movement if I want to incubate by tilting the carton or lay the eggs on their sides and turn.

Back
Top Bottom