To hard on kids....wife swap

Quote:
THIRTY NINE???????
th.gif

Didn't, don't watch the show. That's how I was raised and every kid in my rural town. Strangely enough, we all grew to be respectful members of society. Perhaps the change in attitudes is what I see in our present available work force? Spookwriter, just went back and read your post. You and I are generally on the same page. Where are the rest?

Last edited:
I had a saying when my oldest boys were younger.. You will respect me, and if you continue to cut up, you will fear the punishment. Consequently I've only paddled my boys a couple times in their entire lifetime, and not for 8 years or so.
idunno.gif

It was the way I was brought up. I imagine a lot of folks were.

Boyd, my father never hit me, but I always knew the potential was there. My best friend continually back talked to his father and he paid the price.

Respect can be conveyed as much, if not more, by tone than by word choice. Not that word choice doesn't also convey a message. I was raised in Texas and spent 30 years in the Air Force (if you count ROTC as well as active and reserve duty), so Ma'am and Sir tend to be very natural to me; both to say and hear. Doesn't matter how well you know someone, you still show respect for their position.

As for how kids address adults, well, in my opinion both the person being addressed and the parent have a say. I alwyas introduced my children, and not my grandchildren to adults by their last name, Honey, this is Mr Jones and Mrs Smith. In some cases I know that that is not the typical protocol, and it is Mr Ben and Miss Carol. I actually prefer the last name, but as long as a title is attached, am willing to use first names when that is the general rule for a particular situation.

Quote:
THIRTY NINE???????
th.gif

I'm only 26 but I feel old because comments a certain 15 year old makes. I have no idea why it makes me feel that way LOL

Quote:
Sounds like good parenting to me. That is how we were raised...yes sir yes maam and thank you and please. We were not allowed to sit around all day in front of a TV or video game (not that we have video games then)...we watched some TV on sat mornings AFTER our chores were done and in the evenings after our bath and before bed.

There is too much the kids get into when they are not kept busy...they find stuff to do and usually it is not good. His comment of them going to jail as adults was not that far from truth...look at the youth of today...that says it all. Kids need boundaries, rules and expectations along with love and understanding.

The 26th of this month I turn 39 for the 18th time.
lol.png
Call me maam, I prefer it, it is respectfull in my opinion.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ditto.

Back in Oregon we had a dear friend who formed an equine ministry...all of the men stood when a lady entered the room, the sat after she sat, if she got up, they stood etc etc. They opened doors for a lady, carried bags for her, assisted her in any way. I was always addressed as "My Lady" as was any woman they came into the presence of....regardless of age, marital status or etc.

It took me a long time to finally give up getting them to stay seated when I bounced up and down from the table. They bounced up and down with me but refused to sit if I was standing. I learned to appreciate it when rudeness presented itself. Like a man waiting for me to open a door for him.

Quote:
Can't agree more.

Some of you guys are responding like you believe the scenarios are real!

You mean REALity TV isnt real? I suppose that the WWE isnt real either?
wink.png

Hey don't spoil my fantasies!
gig.gif
Leave the WWE beefcakes out of this. hahahaha

Quote:
Sounds like good parenting to me. That is how we were raised...yes sir yes maam and thank you and please. We were not allowed to sit around all day in front of a TV or video game (not that we have video games then)...we watched some TV on sat mornings AFTER our chores were done and in the evenings after our bath and before bed.

There is too much the kids get into when they are not kept busy...they find stuff to do and usually it is not good. His comment of them going to jail as adults was not that far from truth...look at the youth of today...that says it all. Kids need boundaries, rules and expectations along with love and understanding.

The 26th of this month I turn 39 for the 18th time.
lol.png
Call me maam, I prefer it, it is respectfull in my opinion.

I dont feel that idle handles are the devils tools at all.......i feel if you push kids to hard you'll give them emotional problems. I have a few friends whose parents pushed them to hard and were helicopter parents. Now the kids are wild or in prison. Oh and they have wonderful manners but they are still out of control! You have to give kids a little bit of control over their own lives.....

Back
Top Bottom