To heck w/ chickens...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KsTornado11, Feb 4, 2009.

1. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    I am thinking of investing more in ducks this spring! Reasons being,my ducks are outlaying my pullets like crazy! I love the larger eggs,ducks are much more cold hardy,ducklings grow much faster than chicks,and I have NEVER lost a duck due to sickness like I have chickens! I have 3 full cartons of duck eggs in the fridge ( I have 4 ducks & 2 drakes,and 5 pullets - 2 EEs,2 Buff Orps,1 Speckled Sussex, 3 banties) and only half a carton of chicken eggs.
    Oh, my ducks are a pair of Rouens,3 Ancona ducks & 1 crested Cayuga drake.

2. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    You would probably love Khaki Campbells.
    Thye lay 300 + eggs a year.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducks Rule
    Chickens Drool.

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Duckies!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    LMAO Terrie [​IMG]
    Hey....where is the Ducky smilie,anyways???

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I love my blue swedish. You can get every color under the sun from white to black by mixing them and they lay huge eggs on a consistent everyday. They are also pretty quiet, docile, and just nice to have around. I had ducks before I had chickens and I've always liked them a little better.

7. p1nkp1nkp1ggy

p1nkp1nkp1ggy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yup, I found this out the hard way as well. This spring we're seriously downsizing our chicken flock and getting more ducks. When it's cold outside my chickens stop laying eggs and won't leave the coop. Meanwhile my ducks are outside sleeping on the snowbanks.

It's tough to beat a Khaki Campbell in terms of egg laying. Welsh Harlequins come close, and Runners are also good egg layers.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I am absolutely dying here, Smartie_Pants. I have 20 Blue Swedish ordered from Ideal, they shipped yesterday. I am so nervous about the cold and shipping, and I am so obsessed with getting them HERE so I can play with baby duckies!!!

The reason I chose the Blues is because of the variety of hatchlings - I can't wait to see what I get.

Do you eat the eggs? I hear they taste stronger than chicken eggs.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread here, I am just obsessing and waiting on my blues and I am reading everything I can to keep me from calling the post office (again [​IMG] )

What do you (anyone) do while waiting for duckies (or chickies) to come in the mail???? I've never done the mail order ducks or chicks before.

I have 5 Call Ducks (haven't had them for very long) and I am already in love with ducks. I am ordering a trio of Toulouse goslings for March delivery too. (am ordering from Metzers).

meri

10. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have runner ducks. They lay very nicely and are comical to boot.

I have a couple egg customers that will only buy duck eggs because they prefer the taste. I don't really notice a taste difference but my taste buds aren't that refined.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by