To help or not to help?

Denisea3465

Songster
6 Years
May 28, 2017
Björköby, Sweden
Hello, I have read the amazing guides about assisted hatching, and also many threads about it, and I am rather clear on the theory, but having a hard time putting it into practice.

I have two broody hens that are together in a pen in the coop who were sharing a clutch of eggs. Six hatched over the past 48 hours or so and the hens abandoned four that hadn't hatched yet. They were very, very cold when I checked them yesterday morning. However, when I checked the eggs more closely, I saw that one had pipped and was chirping quite loudly so I put one of the hens back where the eggs were and hoped that she would help. I checked in the evening and nothing had changed, the egg was still under the broody, still pipped and no progress.

This morning, I found the egg again abandoned, cold, and the hens with the other chicks. So I took the egg inside and started reading up on what, if anything to do.

I could see about a half inch into the shell and saw that the membrane was completely white and hard and dry and retracting from the shell. The chick's beak is poking out of that spot. I peeled back a small bit of shell to get access to the shell and moistened it first with warm water, then put a bit of vaseline on it to moisten it, which seems to have helped some? It is still very tough, but see-through anyway. The veins were very clearly visible and unfortunately I did nick a very small one and stopped immediately after putting stiptic powder on it. I have the egg in a heating pad to keep warm while waiting for (hopefully) the blood to be absorbed and the veins to minimize, which I BELIEVE is happening, but honestly it is a bit hard for me to tell.

So, long story long, I am wondering what to do now. She is still opening and closing her beak, chirps loudly on occasion, and there are still visible veins. But she pipped at least 36 hours ago and her membrane keeps drying badly and I am having to remoisten it often. I don't have a good setup and humidity is a problem. So what would you do? Wait more? I am afraid it will become "shrink-wrapped" and die unnecessarily. Is there a better way of keeping up the humidity/moisture of the membrane?

I have attached two photos, one from this morning when I first brought her in, and the other just now. Maybe (hopefully) you can see some progress and/or get an idea of how you would proceed? Thank you so much!
20190604_092343.jpg
20190604_125952.jpg

Patience. It looks like it can breathe so don't rush. For what it is worth, I probably wouldn't do anything right this minute. If you have trouble keeping humidity up, loosely wrap it in a warm damp paper towel or washcloth and just keep checking back and peeling back a bit a time as veins dry up- if help is needed. Sometimes once you start, they manage on their own, sometimes you are going to be helping every step of the way. I had one just like this a week ago (very malpositioned) and once I decided to help it took a good 8 hours or more of peeling a bit at a time every couple of hours until it was out. Give it a few hours in between and try to keep it as moist as possible. If one section looks bleedy- STOP, leave it alone. Wait- preferably- or try the other side. When you get a clear section of membrane to come loose a little, pull it back and and stick on the side of the egg- it will stick better than you might think. This is going to take a while- don't rush it. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom