To help or not?

Thatcher R

Songster
Mar 12, 2022
I had a call duck egg pip yesterday morning, and it pipped a second time slightly further from the first. It has been shaking and moving the egg for the past hour since the secont pip. Should I help it or not? Does it normally take hours for a duck to zip?

If it pipped in a different spot it is moving around (a good thing). I am not familiar with call ducks, but standard ducks often go more than 24 hours between pip to zip. Is it still opening and closing its mouth? If so it is still absorbing the yolk and should not be helped yet. I do know from reading on BYC that call ducks frequently need assistance, but be patient. Are you familiar with the assisted hatch article?

I opened up the egg and it does still need more time. I just got worried because there was a secont pip and I’ve never seen or heard that happen before so I thought it might need help. But right now i put some coconut oil on and its back in the incubator.

If it pipped in a different spot it is moving around (a good thing). I am not familiar with call ducks, but standard ducks often go more than 24 hours between pip to zip. Is it still opening and closing its mouth? If so it is still absorbing the yolk and should not be helped yet. I do know from reading on BYC that call ducks frequently need assistance, but be patient. Are you familiar with the assisted hatch article?
Thank you! I had already opened the egg before I got this message. I could not tell if it was still making the chewing motions, that’s why I was unsure to help it. But thank you.

I opened up the egg and it does still need more time. I just got worried because there was a secont pip and I’ve never seen or heard that happen before so I thought it might need help. But right now i put some coconut oil on and its back in the incubator.
Often my ducks will hit the egg a second time around 8-12 hours after first hit then nothing for 12-18 more hours sometimes longer before they zip. I have had some zip fast in 10 mins and others zipping for an hour

Often my ducks will hit the egg a second time around 8-12 hours after first hit then nothing for 12-18 more hours sometimes longer before they zip. I have had some zip fast in 10 mins and others zipping for an hour
Ok thanks, I just didn’t realize that a second pip doesn’t meant it’s starting to zip, and it has already been 25 hours since first pip.

Ok thanks, I just didn’t realize that a second pip doesn’t meant it’s starting to zip, and it has already been 25 hours since first pip.
Yes a second pip is not the zip yet
Baby could take 24-48 hours from the first one if they first internal pip
If they miss the air cell and hit the wrong end then it’s 48-72 hours
I just hatched 9 babies and a few took over 60 hours

Back
Top Bottom