To help or not?

Calls “usually” start to zip within 24 hours of the first external pip, depending on air cell size, which is less time than other duck species that can take much longer. They can pip many times before actually starting to zip. When you notice a pip line about an inch long, in a fairly straight line, they should start zipping. A full zip should take under 2 hours normally. Once a true zip has started, if they stop for very long periods during the zip, I’ll usually pop the cap off for them. By that time, they are ready to come out.

** All this depends a bunch on quality of the parents. Show quality calls have a bit more difficult time hatching on their own, due to short bills and short necks. Pet quality calls can normally hatch fairly easily on their own. **

Calls “usually” start to zip within 24 hours of the first external pip, depending on air cell size, which is less time than other duck species that can take much longer. They can pip many times before actually starting to zip. When you notice a pip line about an inch long, in a fairly straight line, they should start zipping. A full zip should take under 2 hours normally. Once a true zip has started, if they stop for very long periods during the zip, I’ll usually pop the cap off for them. By that time, they are ready to come out.

** All this depends a bunch on quality of the parents. Show quality calls have a bit more difficult time hatching on their own, due to short bills and short necks. Pet quality calls can normally hatch fairly easily on their own. **
Thank you for the info, I did wait over 24 hours before I removed a little of the shell but I guess it still needs a bit more time. I ordered these egg online and I don’t think they were show quality.

Thank you for the info, I did wait over 24 hours before I removed a little of the shell but I guess it still needs a bit more time. I ordered these egg online and I don’t think they were show quality.
Good, I was basically giving guidelines for anyone that looks up this thread in the future. All cases are different. Shipped eggs can be their own can of worms. Lol

How’s the duckling doing now? Can you post a pic?

Good, I was basically giving guidelines for anyone that looks up this thread in the future. All cases are different. Shipped eggs can be their own can of worms. Lol

How’s the duckling doing now? Can you post a pic?
Yes the duckling is in the incubator now doing fine just absorbing ther rest of the yolk

Attachments

• 57929F3B-ABC4-4331-9006-40A44397C9CF.jpeg
    57929F3B-ABC4-4331-9006-40A44397C9CF.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom