To insulate or not to insulate...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rockiemtchix, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rockiemtchix

rockiemtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Colorado
    Total newbie, here. I'm getting ready to assemble my pre-fab chicken coop, and I'm wondering about interior needs such as insulation and paint. I live in the mountains of Colorado (8520 ft) and it obviously gets a bit windy and chilly up here.
    ? #1: I've read that my chickens (Ameracaunnas) won't need any insulation or heat source, but I'm still worried about them freezing on super-cold nights. So I am considering reflective foil insulation. Has anyone in the Rocky Mt region used this type of insulation w success? Keeping in mind I've purchased my coop prefab and I'm sure it's not top-of-the-line.
    ?#2: My coop has a pull-out vinyl tray for cleaning and the interior is wood. I'm considering painting the interior white for easy clean up (and maybe some xtra warmth as the paint might seal those drafty cracks- it does have proper ventilation w a hardware cloth covered window).
    Advice?

2. Painting or sealing is a good idea if you can. Painting can help seal the wood and keep parasites at bay more easily. Painting or sealing also helps with keeping the coop clean.

If I were at 8500 ft I would add insulation.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello again....Not sure how cold your winter nights get but in most places insulation is not essential IF the following conditions are met. The first is that the coop is draft free (but still allows ventilation). The second is the number of birds and the amount of space in the coop. A chicken generates a lot of heat - so several in a cozy coop will be fine. All that being said, insulation certainly won't hurt - just don't know if it is necessary in most places. I have an uninsulated tin coop - I keep down a think layer of hay or straw and my 19 birds make it through the Kansas winters in fine style. Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]Chickens can stand cold much better than they can stand heat.

1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Definately paint the interior for ease of cleaning and pest control. Given proper ventilation and moisture control, ventilation is probably not needed for Ameraucanas with their small combs; however, it will not hurt anything.

7. [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    I live in Michigan and have my coop insulated. It helped keep the coop warm in the winter. I do have a 3' vent a foot from the ceiling that I leave open about 1 to 1 1/2". and hinged on the bottom so the humidity can easily go out. I had them out in the run one day when it was below freezing and they did get a few black dots (freezer burns) on their combs. They didn't stay out too long though. Right now I have 3 hens and a rooster in a 4x8x7' coop. and they seemed to do very well. I'm getting 4 more chicks tomorrow as my coop will only hold 8.

10. rockiemtchix

rockiemtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Colorado
    THX!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by