1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To introduce...now or later?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terry71, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Terry71

Terry71 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario Canada
    I have had a barred rock since October. They said she was 12 weeks old. Well, five months later, that would make her seven months old. I recently purchased five hens and one rooster. All seem to be full grown. the son and his mother said they were around the same age as my barred rock. Here is my situation. The barred rock is half the size of the other chickens. They are presently separated. I have had the new ones for two weeks and they are already laying. When should I move the new chickens in with the barred rock? The barred rock's coop will be the main coup. The new chickens all behave very well. There is one dominant hen who is the boss. I don't want them to hurt my barred rock. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks to all for listening and also thanks in advance to those who reply.

Terry:D

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Could your barred Rock be a bantam? That would explain her size.

3. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    Quote:yeah....what they said? bantam maybe?

4. Terry71

Terry71 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario Canada
    What's a bantam?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by