To Make An Olive Egger......Legbar?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by madamwlf, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I am planning to try a Cream Legbar x Crele Penesedenca back to a Crele Penesedenca. anyone heard of this cross? It will be interesting to see if these auto sex breeds will produce a auto sex chick? regardless should be a stunning bird. Roosters for sure. with a cool spin on the olive egg.

2. Audio51

Audio51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California
    Can you tell if they have the blue egg gene when they are chicks?

3. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I am not sure on that. I have heard varying answers. both my barnedeveler x lavender ameraucana crosses produced nice olive eggs and they do not have pea combs so. not 100% sure

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    if you have pure ameraucanas the ALL of your F1s will have pea combs, if they are just mutts(easter eggers) then you are one of the few breeders that got lucky(about 4%) and got a few recombinants...

5. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    they may be extended pea combs but I know they both came from purebreds

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    if they are pure breed Ameraucana then any offsprings(Ameraucana x Barnies) will have pea combs and the hens will lay green eggs..

7. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    more olive green. not dark olive bet much more olive than my ameraucana or easter eggers

8. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

The F1 cross should be autosexing, as should crossing the F1 back with CPs. The F1s will be heterozygous for blue egg gene which is dominant ans will be expressed. Brown is dominant, but I'm not clear on the dark brown, it may be incompletely dominant, thus lighter when heterozygous. I would expect the F1 females would lay olive eggs.

Crossing back you would lose the blue egg gene on about half the offspring (or the brown if you crossed back on the CLs instead of the CPs).

9. 5moore

5moore Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Archie Mo
    I have 3 f1 pullets laying brown eggs. They are cream leg bar roo over fbc Maran crosses. If I breed them back to a different cream leg bar roo what color will the eggs be and will they be auto sexing?

10. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by