To ointment or not to ointment?

The scabs look better, but is it my imagination, or is the foot with the larger scab more swollen than it was?
I think that may just be the angle of the photo. The pads of each of her feet have been about the same size of swollen since I started treatment. Sorry for the inconsistent camera work :p

No worries.

Is she walking better? It looks like she's healing, if a bit slowly.
Day 6. Took pics from side angles to show swelling as well (with bonus shadow puppetry in one!). I also took a pic of her bathtub recovery ward for reference. I plug the drain with an old sock, and I watched her pull the others over on top of it. She seems to prefer the lowest, flattest part of the tub.

0mvhmg.png

xdqpqw.jpg

Right foot

v00lj9.jpg
Both feet
knhven.jpg

Right foot with shadow puppetry (it's a screaming pheasant hurling his crest forward)

lej8d6.jpg

Both feet from left side (right foot is upper foot)

They look better today. I wouldn't put her out yet, but you may want to bring a companion in for her. She's probably getting lonely by now.
Not sure I can do that considering my living situation. Having one quail in there is already...a bit of a problem. Is it vital to her recovery that I give her a companion?

Not vital, but it will help. Creatures (including people) heal better when they're happy.
Understood. When I purchased her, I bought a second quail with her (Phoebe). I put Phoebe in the tub with her this morning. Will report again this evening.

Not vital, but it will help. Creatures (including people) heal better when they're happy.
Day 7 update. Unfortunately, this didn't work out as planned. The one (Phoebe) I put in there with her (Persephone) was extremely lethargic when I went in there to tend to her. Phoebe was missing some feathers when I first got them, but I didn't think much of it at the time. Maybe it was too cold in there for her? I put her back in the hutch and gave her some food by putting it in her beak. She's not herself and I don't know if Persephone attacked her or if she hit her head or what.

Anyway.

I did the usual epsom foot soaking with Persephone and dried her off with a towel this time instead of a shirt. Here are today's pics.

2023-11-19-19-18-57-673_1.jpg

2023-11-19-19-19-10-913_1.jpg

2023-11-19-19-19-22-110_1.jpg

2023-11-19-19-19-16-422_1.jpg

Any idea when Persephone can go back in the hutch? The hutch is filled with sand, so it isn't like she'd be walking on a hard or gridiron surface.

That looks much better today! The scabbing looks solid and I'm not seeing open wound like it was before.

I'd say she can go back in since it's sand. Just make sure to keep checking her daily until she's healed.

Back
Top Bottom