To ointment or not to ointment?

HutchButch

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
I recently bought a gorgeous young celadon quail who came with what looked like a bad case of bumblefoot. I tended the wound a couple nights ago by peeling off the scab, soaking and rinsing with epsom salt water, and finishing with over-the-counter antibiotic ointment. I'm keeping her in the bathtub for now with paper towels and a few old (clean) socks for warmth and softness. She's still eating heartily and doesn't seem to be ill; the scabs also didn't seem to have much pus if any on them, iirc.

My questions are:

1. should I wrap her feet in gauze or let them heal without?
2. Should I wash and apply antibiotics to her wounds daily?
3. Should I peel off any more scabs I see or should I leave them alone?
4. Is it safe to put her with the others in the hutch?

Sorry for no pics. Don't have any available but I can get some tonight.

I would let her heal without any wrapping. A bit of antibiotic ointment won't hurt as long as you make sure it doesn't contain any pain killers. Those can be toxic to birds.

I would keep an eye on her scabs. If they look like they'll come off, take them off, but otherwise I'd wait a few days to see how she's doing. I'd also keep her isolated for the next couple days so you can really see her progress. That will also help her keep her feed cleaner.

I would let her heal without any wrapping. A bit of antibiotic ointment won't hurt as long as you make sure it doesn't contain any pain killers. Those can be toxic to birds.

I would keep an eye on her scabs. If they look like they'll come off, take them off, but otherwise I'd wait a few days to see how she's doing. I'd also keep her isolated for the next couple days so you can really see her progress. That will also help her keep her feed cleaner.
I'm using the Publix white label alternative to neosporin, specifically, this:

https://www.publix.com/pd/publix-antibiotic-ointment--pain-relief/RIO-PCI-123020?origin=search1

She seems to be doing fine so far, but should I switch to this bacitracin zinc ointment?

https://www.publix.com/pd/publix-bacitracin-zinc-ointment-usp/RIO-PCI-123168?origin=search3

I just finished tending to her and took some pics. She's still eating heartily and hasn't had a change in mood nor in demeanor. @Nabiki, can you give a diagnosis?
2023-11-13-19-32-21-288.jpg

This was when she was soaking in the epsom salt bath. Fair warning, the next pics are extreme close-ups and look a bit gory.

2023-11-13-19-39-38-121_1.jpg

Right foot after bacitracin ointment

2023-11-13-19-39-33-734_1.jpg

Both feet for scale and angle after bacitracin ointment.
2023-11-13-19-36-25-842_1.jpg

Left foot before ointment

2023-11-13-19-36-09-190_1.jpg

Right foot before ointment.

Definitely bumblefoot. Her feet look better after treatment. I would keep her in a separate, clean enclosure like a plastic tote for at least a few days. You can choose a companion to keep her company, though. You just want to make sure that you give the epsom salt baths a couple times a day for the next few days and see how she does.

Back
Top Bottom