To Roo or Not to Roo?

I have kept the more timid, lower pecking order cockerel.
It’s turned out well, so far.
The other two were completely unafraid of me.
They ended up being aggressors so they went in the freezer.
I knew the last one might turn aggressive when the other more dominant boys were out of the picture.

He tried rushing DH a couple of times from behind and a little side stepping shuffling a few times.
No all out attacks though.
He has stopped those things now after a couple of weeks and is calm and alert with his ladies.
The ladies are starting to respect him more and respond to tidbits and will generally follow and stay close to him.
They still don’t like being bred by him and will protest and avoid him if at all possible.
I do think it’s possible with a lower ranking cockerel but a lot depends on him as he matures and the humans management of him during this time as well.

The calmest rooster I ever had the black Austrolorp roo , had speckled Sussex with him, the Sussex was such a ass
was finally the austrolorp put him in his place. Like in the extreme highest roost away from Every thing else wasn't even allow to feed. I removed him and let him outside. He promptly tried to spur me. Several times skillet therapy hatched 2 RIR roos omg what idiots. Austrolorp set them straight day ( by this time the flock of 20 was free ranging ) they started trying to dominate anything. Bee i had gave some educational lessons. They came after me a few times said self 1 exceedingly good roo 2 morons = chicken pot pie
Short story unless I hear something different black Australorp seem to be the way to go

Last edited:
My Naked Neck/Turken cockerel, Angus, has been really good so far.
No human aggression.
I recently had to treat a pullet with a wound and he was upset but didn’t attack.
His two hatch mates were idiots though.
Sometimes you just have to go through a few until you get a good one.

What typically will happen with your method is he may or may not acknowledge you but that doesn't guarantee anyone or anything else.
I do not see anyone walking into a chicken run with a ruling rooster and not being acknowledged. It his job to guard the flock and believe me he takes his job very seriously. He will crow to let you know that he is there. He will attack from behind if given the chance. Having raised roosters, I have not had one attack me personally, but anyone else who comes near his girls will get his attention. I have seen it. That does not make him a mean bird who deserves to be killed. He is doing his job.

Here's where I disagree; I have family members and visitors on my farm, and don't plan to deal with any injuries to anyone! My roosters have a job, and it does not include challenging humans at all. I have no room for a 'one human only' bird!
And children or immune compromised people can have very severe injuries!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom