To roof or not to roof the run?

Jan 23, 2010
Mountains of NC
I would like to roof the run to provide shade and protection from rain and snow. but my DH thinks this isn't necessary. We have hawks so I know we must at least cover with chicken wire or hardward cloth. We also have heavy snow. Just how necessary is it to put a roof on the run?

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessary to roof the run, although I personally have chicken wire on the top of mine. Otherwise I'd worry about hawks and other predators way too much. I've had my current coop for about three years now and I have yet to lose a bird to predators! Ultimately it's up to you whether you want it roofed or not. I do wish that we had roofed mine, actually, simply because it would maybe reduce the mud. My run gets so disgusting in the rain! In a snowy area, I think a roof over the run would be more helpful than here, where it only snows a few times a year.

I just got through our 1st winter w/ chickens. Of course we've had the 3rd snowiest winter in history! I was out shoveling the run an awful lot this winter so the girls would come out. My run is just covered w/ chicken wire. I would like to either add on to the run and have that roofed or somehow out a roof on the existing run but since it was not designed for snow load not sure if that is workable. Hubby, who would be building said fantasy, doesn't think we need to. But he wasn't digging out the run either, seeing as how they are "my" chickens...... I think the girls would have been outside more this winter if we had a roof. But they seemd to have a fine winter in spite of it.... I would like to have some shade for them as well... If you can possibly do it, I think you should.

I have three, 6 foot high dog runs atttached in a long run attached to a shed, I have one panel layed on top of the run closest to the shed. I have a tarp bungie corded over the the panel. I have a 2x4 under the panel making a teepee shape to keep the water off. I live in SC and it gets mighty hot in the sun. I also have the food and water under the tarp area.

First year I covered the run with chicken wire and the snow didn't fall through it like I expected so it became so weighted down with snow that it was a threat to my chickens because it was near collapse.

I kept it covered with stucco wire this year and that worked better.

I would think that it would have to be a fairly stable structure to withstand a snow load of any substance.

The main reason I would like to have it covered (not just wire, which I have to have due to hawks) is to prevent the mud that we get in the spring. Stinky, poopy mud when everything thaws. Yuck.

Particularly if your birds are white, then you will need protection from hawks. I have found that dark coloured birds aren't nearly as threatened, but all my white ones have been taken over the last couple of years.

I live in Oregon where we get lot's of rain, and my run is covered. My first run was not covered and when it rained the girls ran for the coop and spent lots of time inside. Now that their new run is covered they spend all their daytime in the run rather raining or not, only time they go into the coop during the day is to lay. Everything remains dry no mud, no wet feet and my Girls & I are happy.

I utilized a design for my run where rafters run to a center ridge pole and then that was covered with heavy duty mesh. I had at least 30 inches of snow standing on it during the winter with no risk of collapse. Still so much snow accumlated in the run that I was alway shoveling. This year I cover 2 sides and the top with a heavy plastic tarp. The run stayed snow free and the birds loved it.

We get heavy snow here and I'm glad every day that we went to the trouble of roofing the run with a steep pitch metal roof. The girls are outside all day every day, no matter what the weather, and it's always dry and nice in the run. No mud, no snow, no predators, no problems.

I have bird netting on top of mine to keep out hawks. I AM, however, going to put a roof over the run. The girls wouldn't go out this winter for almost 2 weeks when we had some bad snowstorms. I had to hand carry each one out to the shoveled path 'til the snow melted enough for them to go out in the run. So, IMHO, I would roof the run
smile.png

Jen

Back
Top Bottom