To roof or not to roof the run?

sovia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Black Hills of SD
When we built the run a few years ago, we decided to close the top in with hardware cloth because we have SO many predators here (mountain lions and everything). Well, I didn't realize how happy free-ranging would make my flock. Now, my flock is out all day roaming around, but I still have that hardware-cloth covered run. I hate it except when I have pullets. In the winter, the snow sits on top of it and I have to try to get up there and scrape it off so the whole thing doesn't come crashing down, plus I have to shovel out the run. And, in the spring, the ground becomes a stinky mess just like someone else mentioned in this thread. If I could do it over again, I would cover the run with those clear corrugated panels or else not cover it at all (maybe some bird netting with pullets). Just my two cents!

AlyUte

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Utah
We've covered our run with a sloped roof so we don't have to worry about the snow collapsing it. Where I live, I would not dream of not having a roof on the run. Between the heavy snow we get in the winter and the rains in the summer, I would either be shoveling snow or mucking through the mud all year long without a roof. Besides which, it gives the chickens a little extra shade, and our summers can get pretty hot.

City Gardener

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
I love our roofed run. It was great with the snow, and when it rains, it's nice for the chickens to be able to still have some room. I think it also cuts down on the smell. A friend has an unroofed run, and in the rainy season, it gets pretty bad.

Jan 23, 2010
Mountains of NC
You all have helped me convince my DH to roof the run!!!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

ADozenGirlz

The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Connecticut
Quote:
We live in the Northeast where the weather isn't always your friend, so I'd say a roof at LEAST in the wintertime is important.
Here's a picture of the top of our run BEFORE we winterized it. You can see that this hawk was foiled in his efforts to find a snack by the plastic netting (which, BTW, is much cheaper to buy and easier to install than chicken wire or hardware cloth).
43104_8-22-09_coop_hawk_2.jpg

This picture shows how my DH winterized the run with heavy duty construction grade plastic sheeting from The Home Depot:
43104_12-5-09_winterizing_run.jpg

And this picture shows why it was invaluable this winter! I'm thinking we may just keep it b/c it does such a fine job of keeping the girlz dry!
43104_1-2-10_egg_collecting_4.jpg

Top Bottom