To 'save' or not to save?

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted a thread! :frow
I recently visited a family friend's house(before coronavirus hit us), and I was surprised as I was greeted by a small goat. I believe it was an Alpine goat but I'm not sure. Not really a goat expert. They explained to us that they had 'saved'/bought a goat that was "getting slaughtered by its cruel owners the next day" for I believe around $200. I also am very sure that the person they saved the goat from had a valid license from the Local Board of Health.
Anyways, I gradually started to worry for the goat and the family. The poor thing(which they had named Bucky) was showing unusual behavior. Lethargy, coughing. I greeted Bucky slowly and though at first he seemed interested he later began to show signs of fatigue.
The house the family lives in is quite small. They have a small garden with some outdoor cats. All in all I believe this was an impulsive decision to make because the family did not research or discuss about goat-keeping. I introduced them to this website and BYC's sister site.
They saved this goat impulsively and it's now being kept in the living room. I was in a state of conflict when I left, and I still am. :barnieYesterday they sent me an email wondering if I could take the goat because it was "pooping everywhere" and being "uncooperative".
I don't know what to do. I was planning on raising chickens last year and did a ton of research, but I don't think I have enough time and commitment for a goat. I think I'm going to introduce them to a few shelters(maybe). I wanted to ask for some ideas and suggestions on what I should do. I feel weirdly responsible.
Thank you all :)

They explained to us that they had 'saved'/bought a goat that was "getting slaughtered by its cruel owners the next day" for I believe around $200. I also am very sure that the person they saved the goat from had a valid license from the Local Board of Health.
Ugh... idealist people trying to save the world... slaughtering is NOT cruel... it's life and now they have made the poor animal suffer to make themselves feel better. :duc

Sounds like the family is in violation of a whole host of ordinances.. my local county animal shelter is a no kill shelter and have to deal with farm animals all the time... Animal control or other shelters you are aware of would be the best option over sacrificing your life for someone else's irresponsibility. I agree goats can be wonderful animals and very entertaining... BUT not for everyone and certainly not happy alone.

Stand your ground and protect YOUR peace of mind... do your best to help them find another home. Either at a shelter or maybe try Craigslist farm and garden section.. it should go quickly if they aren't trying to get their $200 back.

:fl

They paid $200 for a meat goat? Somebody saw them coming. Humanely slaughtering a meat animal is not cruel. Keeping it under unsuitable conditions is. When I had my dairy the male kids went for meat. I refused to sell them for pets because most pet goats I saw had a terrible life. For this goat, put an ad on craigslist and/or on the bulletin board at the local feed store. However, no matter what, they are not getting their $200 back.

I agree that the goat needs to be rehomed and NOT with you (but bless your heart for considering it 💗). As an aside, goats need to be with other goats, as they are a herd animal and rely on other goats for safety and companionship. They also need to be told that they need to get it seen by a vet knowledgeable about goats. Buying a goat on impulse when don't have, or aren't willing to quickly learn, how to care for one appropriately is NOT saving it, and not getting it necessary medical care is neglect possibly bordering on abuse. Not to mention that they'll have a tough time rehoming a goat that is clearly in poor health. Poor thing! So glad you knew enough to know it wasn't doing well and are willing to help them make the responsible, right decision!

Alpines are dairy goats. They are a herd animal and need companions. With COVID-19 animal shelters are emptying out as much as possible, so that is not a good option. Placing a sick goat into a healthy herd is also not a good option. Goats eat everything they can reach. It needs a temporary shelter with someone who can care for it and nurse it back to health. I would place an honest Craigslist ad asking for help and rehome it for free.

Wait, what? They're keeping the poor goat in their living room?! And only now discovering it's "uncooperative" and pooping everywhere? Did they believe it would be so grateful to not be butchered, that it would somehow turn into a house trained dog?

This situation seems, how can I put this politely...not very well-thought-out on their part.

Definitely put them in touch with rescue groups, and call Animal Control if a solution can't be found ASAP.

My guess is that the original owners sold the goat to them because the owners knew it was sick and, depending on what the illness is, they couldn't legally sell it for meat. So they preyed on the emotions of kind-hearted but uninformed animal lovers, just to get their $200 and avoid vet bills. Poor little Bucky - and your friends deserve some sympathy as well.

If you can't find someone knowledgeable to take over his care, well, humane euthanasia is definitely kinder to Bucky than dying of a disease in someone's living room without other goat companions.

THANK YOU all for the replies!! A little update: I informed the family over phone how they needed to properly get a temporary living space for the goat and how they needed to research caring for Bucky. Lucky as they are, I helped them find a family who own a small farm and were willing to take Bucky in. However, with COVID19, they will have to wait to rehome Bucky. Meanwhile, Bucky seems to be getting better healthwise. The family has started doing research on goatkeeping and I hope they can hold out for as long as the family farm can take Bucky in.

Back
Top Bottom